First GBZ build.. Joystick or not?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
shaneago

First GBZ build.. Joystick or not?

Post by shaneago » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:33 pm

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to building GBZ's. I have limited skills/knowledge in electronics, however I have built various guitar effects pedals. I originally hoped to just purchase a completed GBZ, but after reading through the forums and gaining as much knowledge as I could, I decided to pre-order the circuit sword and start my first build.

The question is; In your opinion, should I include the joystick in my build, or leave it out? I've read a few people having trouble with the joystick calibration and configuration and I don't want to over complicate my build, but would love to have the joystick for use with N64 games.

Really appreciate your opinions and open to all advice.

Hellweaver666

Re: First GBZ build.. Joystick or not?

Post by Hellweaver666 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 am

That depends on your build. If you're using a Pi Zero, you aren't going to have much luck playing N64 games as it's not really powerful enough. If you're doing a Pi 3b/3b+ or Compute Module you can sort of get away with some more powerful games that may play better with a joystick.

Given that you've started with a platform you want to play, you should design your system around that. Make sure your GBZ has all the buttons and controls that you need for N64 and a powerful enough Pi inside to run the emulators well.

Phiro13

Post by Phiro13 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am

I have a circuit sword built too and I’m glad that I have a Joystick. For some games it’s a pleasure to have one, especiallly with r-type style games, doesn’t matter which system.
I hadn‘t any problems with calibration, everything was super easy. It was my first built and I had absolutely no experience with Raspberry pie.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Simply put, if you are using a pi zero you probably won't need an analog stick.

The analog stick mostly only comes into play when playing PS1, PSP, Dreamcast and N64 games and if you're using a pi zero in your build you won't be able to play most if not any of those systems anyways.

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I'm going to do a circuit sword and wondering how do I install it on the left hand side of the dmg like I've seen others done. I haven't seen a tutorial on how to fo it, only how yo do it in the middle between the dpad and buttons. Any help with it would be appreciated.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm

qaz015393 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm
I'm going to do a circuit sword and wondering how do I install it on the left hand side of the dmg like I've seen others done. I haven't seen a tutorial on how to fo it, only how yo do it in the middle between the dpad and buttons. Any help with it would be appreciated.

I just did this on my most recent build. You'll want to download and print a 3d bracket for the PSP stick. There's a forum here....https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5424

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:04 pm

FlashyFrank wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm
qaz015393 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I just did this on my most recent build. You'll want to download and print a 3d bracket for the PSP stick. There's a forum here....https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5424
Thanks, I almost forgot that I would need one. Unfortunately I don't own a 3d printer so I need to get someone to help me out and make & sell me one

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:31 pm

I know there are some websites that will 3d print projects for you but when I looked into them they were way over priced. I know a lot of the guys on the forums here have printers and I've heard they will print projects for an appropriate price.

Or you might know someone who doesn't own a printer but may have access to one. My brother works at a high school and they have a few printers there and I was able to get him to print a few things up. Ask around you might be surprised to find out someone you know is into 3d printing.