Doing first ever built tonight

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
qaz015393

Doing first ever built tonight

Post by qaz015393 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:24 pm

got my gaboze pacio board today and this is my first ever raspberry pi built ever. So wondering how important is kaplon tape to tape the components on the raspberry pi? I know you're suppose to put it on but I don't want to spend money on a roll when I'm only going to use it once. Where is a good place to solder in a house? I only have the kitchen since the dinning room has a popcorn ceiling and is closer to the basement (where there's mold growing bc had to horde most of my late uncle's stuff in there) so my house isn't that vented and know I have to open a window since the vent doesn't go anywhere and don't want it to vent while soldering since in time it could cause a fire. So any good recommendations? I also don't have a garage so I'm limited.

VeteranGamer

Re: Doing first ever built tonight

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 am

qaz015393 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:24 pm
got my gaboze pacio board today and this is my first ever raspberry pi built ever. So wondering how important is kaplon tape to tape the components on the raspberry pi? I know you're suppose to put it on but I don't want to spend money on a roll when I'm only going to use it once. Where is a good place to solder in a house? I only have the kitchen since the dinning room has a popcorn ceiling and is closer to the basement (where there's mold growing bc had to horde most of my late uncle's stuff in there) so my house isn't that vented and know I have to open a window since the vent doesn't go anywhere and don't want it to vent while soldering since in time it could cause a fire. So any good recommendations? I also don't have a garage so I'm limited.
i may got shot down from the health and safety police, but hey... it is what it is....

dont overly worry about the the solder fumes (a nice vented room is not a bad thing, but its not a deal breaker)...
depending on the solder (more so with leaded), and the type of project your actually doing (the Gaboze), theres not going to be enough to do anything really (you'll survive)....
(there also shouldnt be that much fumes, you only need a dab of solder at certain times)...

you also don't have to worry about the fumes causing a fire
(but if you leave the soldering iron on and forget about it and it happens to fall or catch something... well... that will be unfortunate)

if it concerns you that much just take your time and do the soldering in bits
(enjoy doing the project, don't be overly worried about it)

also if you dont have Kapton tape (which actually doesn't cost that much anyway)
just use some electric insulation tape
(its only used to avoid certain parts making contact with each other, to avoid shorts)

good luck and enjoy....

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:40 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 am
qaz015393 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:24 pm
i may got shot down from the health and safety police, but hey... it is what it is....

dont overly worry about the the solder fumes (a nice vented room is not a bad thing, but its not a deal breaker)...
depending on the solder (more so with leaded), and the type of project your actually doing (the Gaboze), theres not going to be enough to do anything really (you'll survive)....
(there also shouldnt be that much fumes, you only need a dab of solder at certain times)...

you also don't have to worry about the fumes causing a fire
(but if you leave the soldering iron on and forget about it and it happens to fall or catch something... well... that will be unfortunate)

if it concerns you that much just take your time and do the soldering in bits
(enjoy doing the project, don't be overly worried about it)

also if you dont have Kapton tape (which actually doesn't cost that much anyway)
just use some electric insulation tape
(its only used to avoid certain parts making contact with each other, to avoid shorts)

good luck and enjoy....

ok thanks. and thanks for the helpful info.
Im going to Staples tomorrow and hope that I can still find that Kapton tape on Amazon for $5 so i can do the price match. I do have electric insulation tape but I wouldn't want to risk using it bc Kapton tape is better. I also have soldering tape- would that work? wouldn't want that electric insulation tape to get the contacts too sticky and short them. I spent 2 hours using an X-acto knife to mod the shell lol but I used a box cutter later on on an extra gbc (bad) shell. Since I'm still waiting for the gpc shell to get here (dang over seas shipping taking a month lol) I'm putting the project on hold until I get the shell so I don't waste time.

Also could someone share a video tutorial on how to install the back L & R shoulder buttons and how to do the safe shutdown and battery indicator. I found a script thread for it but don't know what else I may need for them.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:19 am

Here's a nice guide for the battery monitor portion.

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6325

As for safe shutdown, if using the mintybatterymonitor script or the mintycombo script for battery monitoring, there is a hot key option to shut it down safely. You'll still need to slide the power switch off after.

There is no true safe shutdown option for the gaboze (meaning sliding the switch won't safely shut it down, unless you add some extra hardware. )

Never seen a video guide for shoulder buttons though. Just browse the forums. I personally didn't add shoulder buttons on 3 of 4 pockets. The one I did do shoulders I just drilled holes and glued tactile buttons in.

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm

rodocop wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:19 am
Here's a nice guide for the battery monitor portion.

https://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6325

As for safe shutdown, if using the mintybatterymonitor script or the mintycombo script for battery monitoring, there is a hot key option to shut it down safely. You'll still need to slide the power switch off after.

There is no true safe shutdown option for the gaboze (meaning sliding the switch won't safely shut it down, unless you add some extra hardware. )

Never seen a video guide for shoulder buttons though. Just browse the forums. I personally didn't add shoulder buttons on 3 of 4 pockets. The one I did do shoulders I just drilled holes and glued tactile buttons in.
Ok thanks for letting me know. I heard from galaxy gaming
"If you also look on our FE PCB page there is a link to a wakelet on there is a pololu module you'll need" so I'm going to look into it to see if I need it or if I just need the script from the link you shared for battery monitoring. Although I don't know how to use the script/s. Like I said when I first made the thread, never did any before.

Also just wanted to say that my shell is still on it's way from China so kind if mad that I didn't buy the parts from mortoffgames.com because the shells were $10 and I would have already gotten everything and would have been enjoying my build but oh well next time for sure. Hope the battery, raspberry pi and gaboze Pocaio don't get ruined in my dresser (because it's broken and moisture can get in it)

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 am

Yes, for the pocket Pi FE they use a pololu switch to accomplish the safe shutdown. I'm sure you can somehow add that to a gaboze pocaio, but i am uncertain how exactly you would wire it in. The pocket Pi FE is specifically meant for that module, and it solders direct to the board.

If you can incorporate that, then yes, you can probably use the pocket pi FE script, to allow for safe shutdown. Honestly though, it's probably easier to just stick with the hotkeys from the battery monitor script. The instructions are in the link I posted. its a simple matter installing the script and then holding one button for a set length of time, to start the shutdown sequence (you can adjust that to be any GPIO pin).

When the script is installed there is one file called /home/pi/Mintybatterymonitor/MintyShutdown.py, you can edit that one to change it to any GPIO, there are two lines near the bottom:

shutdown_btn = Button(7, hold_time=1) (shutdown button)
monitor_btn = Button(19, hold_time=2) (this buttons toggles the battery icon on/off)

7, and 19 are the default GPIO's those can be changed to anything, the hold time means the amount of time the button needs to be held. I suggest changing those values higher if you are using existing buttons. Does not matter much if you set up a stand alone button for that.

As for the parts i'm sure they will be fine, i can't imagine your dresser has any more moisture than my basement, where I store all of my parts. You will have a hard time ruining them by having them sitting in a dresser.
Last edited by rodocop on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm

rodocop wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 am
Yes, for the pocket Pi FE they use a pololu switch to accomplish the safe shutdown. I'm sure you can somehow add that to a gaboze pocaio, but i am uncertain how exactly you would wire it in. The pocket Pi FE is specifically meant for that module, and it solders direct to the board.

If you can incorporate that, then yes, you can probably use the pocket pi FE script, to allow for safe shutdown. Honestly though, it's probably easier to just stick with the hotkeys from the battery monitor script. The instructions are in the link I posted. its a simple matter installing the script and then holding one button for a set length of time, to start the shutdown sequence (you can adjust that to be any GPIO pin).

When the script is installed there is one file called /home/pi/Mintybatterymonitor/MintyShutdown.py, you can edit that one to change it to any GPIO, there are two lines near the bottom:

shutdown_btn = Button(7, hold_time=1) (shutdown button)
monitor_btn = Button(19, hold_time=2) (this buttons toggles the battery icon on/off)

7, and 19 are the default GPIO's those can be changed to anything, the hold time means the amount of time the button needs to be held. I suggest changing those values higher if you are using existing buttons. Does not matter much if you set up a stand alone button for that.

As for the parts i'm sure they will be fine, unless you are i can't imagine your dresser has any more moisture than my basement, where I store all of my parts. You will have a hard time ruining them by having them sitting in a dresser.
Ok big thanks for all the help. Now I have to figure out how to program the build lol. Will be doing it soon when my shell and buttons are here.