pcb direct soldering

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
vtchkn

pcb direct soldering

Post by vtchkn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 pm

First post. Been here for a bit, and have enjoyed plenty of reading. Retropie has been fun on the TV, not it's time for a handheld.

Planning to layout my board, mostly as a learning exercise for something moderately more complex than I have done before. After looking at the construction of various boards here on the forum, many of them solder the Pi directly to the main PCB for the GBZ. Some of them also grab other modules such as an audio amp and solder those as well. This really simplifies the internal connections.

What I have not seen, is soldering a teensy/promicro, directly. other than some complication with the USB connectors, this seems like a good way to avoid some wiring. Anyone have any negative experience with doing this? Otherwise I may give it a whirl and see what happens.
Thanks.

tinkerBOY

Re: pcb direct soldering

Post by tinkerBOY » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 am

New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

vtchkn

Post by vtchkn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:56 am

Yep. That's pretty much what I was trying to describe. Thanks.

Effin Enjeffin

Post by Effin Enjeffin » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:41 pm

vtchkn wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 pm
What I have not seen, is soldering a teensy/promicro, directly. other than some complication with the USB connectors, this seems like a good way to avoid some wiring.
I had much the same idea as you. While looking on Thingiverse user "kapakahi" page I saw this
It appears to be a pro micro connected directly(soldered with 2.54mm headers?) to a PRS common ground board which looks clean and inexpensive. Is kapakahi a member here? I would love to see more detail on this build or one like it

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:52 pm

That's a Teensy LC. If you try that with a pro micro, you're going to have a bad time.

I've done a board with a Teensy 3.2 directly soldered. With Teensy's, you can directly solder the USB lines as well because those are on the bottom of the board. It worked nicely and I plan on doing it again.

vtchkn

Post by vtchkn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 am

A bad time because of the USB connections? Or a bad time because the pcb in the photo is seems to be designed for the pinout on the teensy? Just trying to understand if you have found an inherent issue with the pro micro.