Gathering information before Gameboy build

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
andershp

Re: Gathering information before Gameboy build

Post by andershp » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 am

Cool.

What about comfort after playing a couple hours - is the Gameboy DMG1 a good base?
I've read that people seem to think the Freeplay (Gameboy Advance) is more comfortable, given that the controls are on either side of the screen, but what do you guys think - you enjoy playing your Gameboy builds?
My "Bubble Bobble" Themed Bartop Arcade: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/107 ... cade-build

KonnorJ

Post by KonnorJ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:53 pm

andershp wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:21 am
Cool.

What about comfort after playing a couple hours - is the Gameboy DMG1 a good base?
I've read that people seem to think the Freeplay (Gameboy Advance) is more comfortable, given that the controls are on either side of the screen, but what do you guys think - you enjoy playing your Gameboy builds?
I find the DMG to be pretty comfortable to hold and play, I could probably play it for longer periods of time than say a pocket or GBA as its bigger and easier to hold.

BenOfTheNorth

Post by BenOfTheNorth » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:49 am

Same here - no issues really. It's a fairly large form factor so for me it doesn't ache to try and hold some tiny device for a long time. Screen is spot on for long periods too.

andershp

Post by andershp » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 am

I have another question to the Gameboy builders, regarding the screen cover.
I've bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gameboy-Zero ... SwccdcgDgv

1. After the case cutout is made, is it correct that the glass only touch the case around the outside perimeter of approximately 1 mm all around? Is this enough to make the glass stick properly, and not fall out all the time?

2. What about the adhesive on the back of the glass? I think this covers the entire back, but I guess there will be an offset between the glass backside and the actual screen, that measures the thickness of the gameboy case? If this entire area is covered with adhesive, but doesn't touch anything, will this area not get stuffed with pocket fluff / dust?
My "Bubble Bobble" Themed Bartop Arcade: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/107 ... cade-build