Resellers?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Resellers?

Post by Helder » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 am

People often do it but it's not wide spread and since we often have stock in regular intervals very few people buy them at the high prices.

This is not the case outside of this site or our own personal sites. Sites like eBay or etsy where people have paid a lot of $$$ and often times these people are unaware of there being more stock to be available.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm

I feel that as this is a community it is not appropriate for a member of the community to try and profit by reselling another members products.

As stated before I also have no issue with someone trying to sell an extra kit they didn't use but it should honestly be sold as close to at cost as possible.

So in short if someone is reselling just to make a profit they should be banned, imo.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:26 am

stevieboy84 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:30 am
but sometimes it looks almost like they ordered the product just to resell for profit soon after it arrives.

It feels unethical to do such a thing, so my question is this:

things people need to take into account.....

Kite regularly has a pre-orders for his kits....

also any one pre-order can take up to 3 months (if not more) from the time of purchase to the time it is with the buyer....

so no one is really buying these to make a quick turn around profit
(IDK..... there could be the odd few.....some quick turn around)

in 3 months or so
the Buzz or Excitement of putting one of Kites kits together could well have dwindled....
the buyers personal or financial situation could also have changed
especially as in the UK/Europe buyers are paying around £160/190Euro or around $215
(that could be a fair amount for some to just be tied up, especially if the Buzz or excitement has worn off)

Now if their situation has changed....
and the time is right (the stars have aligned), basically its in the no mans land of Kite pre-orders

theres gonna be a handful of people that have just stumbled (become aware) onto Kites CSO/Lite
are really pumped, excited about their new discovery but have realised that they've missed the pre-order

why begrudge the person that is willing to part with theirs
especially as the buyer can't wait for a few weeks/months
(sometimes you have to pay a bit of a premium for speed or not waiting)

at the end of the day its all about choice....
if you don't like the price...
don't buy it....
if everyone does that... the price will come down.....

FlashyFrank wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm
I feel that as this is a community it is not appropriate for a member of the community to try and profit by reselling another members products.

As stated before I also have no issue with someone trying to sell an extra kit they didn't use but it should honestly be sold as close to at cost as possible.

So in short if someone is reselling just to make a profit they should be banned, imo.

to outline these are my opinions, so please (anyone) try to NOT get upset (or triggered)....

its perfectly acceptable for anyone to make a profit on what they sell....
if they make a big profit or small, all the power to them and the people who are willing to buy (its a choice)....

Buyer Beware
Caveat emptor

however...
i do feel it is unacceptable (again IMO)....
for scalpers to be buying products that are on pre-orders only or otherwise....
only for the reason to just re-sell either individually or as part of kits....
(but this is my own opinion)
this hasn't really happened on the forum, well maybe just once (IMO)

Now...
just so that people are aware....
(i've got some skin in the game here)

when I sell my Game Boy builds on the Sudomod market...
i feel/think its fair to say, I ask the most amount for any of the DIY builds that have been listed......

when I've SOLD individual parts and components that I've not ended up using (I actually do build these Game Boy sometimes)....
I've base my price on the availability of that part and how much I would want to part with it.....

one example

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3246&hilit=veterangamer

if a product is no longer available...
and there is demand for it...
you can ask anything you want, it all depends on what people will be willing to pay for it
(basic economics)

Personally (again IMO)....
suggesting or even considering banning members is just the wrong way to do things....
also its just not right or something that can be enforced/implemented properly or fairly....

who is going to issue the bans?.... :?
a panel of judges that deems one member to be making more of a profit over another....
or
the vast majority of the mods...
who also sell a lot of the items that are going to be resold (a big conflict of interest)
its OK for them to make a profit
(please I'm not having or knock or diminishing the fact they've put a lot of time, effort and money in their products)
and not anyone else....
(this is just to show the idea of banning members is just an impractical one)...

and making a profit is NOT unethical (especially if you in a non-Communist country)

its all about choice....
just dont choose to buy it....
the price of the product will come down very quickly

Now if anyone should be banned.....
VeteranGamer should be the first
(let the trial begin)

THESE HAVE BEEN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS ON THE ISSUE/TOPIC
NOTHING I'VE SAID/STATED HAS BEEN SAID/STATED TO HAVE A KNOCK OR HAVE A SWIPE AT ANYONE (SINCERELY I MEAN THAT)
(AGAIN IMO)

ekilla

Post by ekilla » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:17 am

If somebody has missed Kites pre order window by a few days, and delivery takes 4 month, this person would have to wait about 4 month to the next pre order and about 8 month for the next delivery.
I´m sure some would happily pay more to get it faster.

But I think too, buying more kits only to sell them here expensive, is not very nice.
On the other hand, if Kite would buy more, stock them and sell them at any time, he would have to raise the price too.

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 pm

I cant say I disagree with Veteran's points.

And when I said they should be banned that would only be if they were blatantly reselling at a large profit. For example the account was only created to post the ad and the user has no other interaction in the community.

But I can see how this sort of thinking is a slippery slope and where do you draw the line and who gets to decide?

MrErickson

Post by MrErickson » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:38 pm

I'd say Veteran hit the nail on the head, when I decided to stop lurking and join the forum one of the motivating factors was a user that had gathered all the parts needed for the MintiPi v2 into a "kit" and was selling them. I did some asking on Discord to be sure the boards being sold were legit and not clones as well as the math on ordering everything separate if it was available (it wasn't) and the total asked for was within $5 of the theoretical cost if I'd not missed the normal preorder process.