Mini HDMI Out

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Sprockett

Mini HDMI Out

Post by Sprockett » Mon May 09, 2016 12:43 pm

In looking at my GB0, I think adding a mini hdmi would be a good idea, I know where I want to put it. My question is are there breakout boards for a female connection?

I was thinking of buying a cable and sacrificing it to connector to the female connector...

Its a ton of small wires to solder, but would be worth it...

Thanks
-Paul-

Robvp

Re: Mini HDMI Out

Post by Robvp » Mon May 09, 2016 12:57 pm

I honestly tought about adding HDMI out to use as a media player when not using it for games, my idea was to use one mini-hdmi to hdmi adapters and mount the pi in a way that the adapter can stick out a bit from a hole in the dmg case, like the extra usb port in wermy's gameboy

Rod2D2

Post by Rod2D2 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Robvp wrote:I honestly tought about adding HDMI out to use as a media player when not using it for games, my idea was to use one mini-hdmi to hdmi adapters and mount the pi in a way that the adapter can stick out a bit from a hole in the dmg case, like the extra usb port in wermy's gameboy
Doesn't this already have an hdmi port sticking out of the side of the dmg case on the opposite side near the power USB port? Why would you need another port?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue May 10, 2016 12:16 am

It already has HDMI Out, so no worries :)

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Tue May 10, 2016 2:22 am

Just an aside, I think HDMI has something like 40 pins. That breakout board (if it exists) would be the size of the GPIO. Might not be much room for it in the GBZ

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 10, 2016 3:37 am

Maybe someone should make a mountable mini HDMI to HDMI out cable... :D

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Tue May 10, 2016 4:06 am

crispy_tofu wrote:Maybe someone should make a mountable mini HDMI to HDMI out cable... :D
Kinda like this? ;)

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.de/itm/251740536741

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 10, 2016 4:16 am

Popcorn wrote:
crispy_tofu wrote:Maybe someone should make a mountable mini HDMI to HDMI out cable... :D
Kinda like this? ;)

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.de/itm/251740536741
Yeah like that, but with screwholes on the side of the connector. :D
Something like this (excuse my Paint): Image

drewvig

Post by drewvig » Tue May 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I thought that @wermy 's original GB0 video said that it had hdmi out. I assumed that he positions the board for the mini hdmi port to sit on the volume port once we put this bad boy together? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but we are inherently going to have this once completed via ole werm's direction.. He also referenced somewhere about the monitor being a composite monitor will not impact the aspect ratio when using hdmi...

Quote me but don't actually quote me... :lol:

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Tue May 10, 2016 2:38 pm

drewvig wrote:I thought that @wermy 's original GB0 video said that it had hdmi out. I assumed that he positions the board for the mini hdmi port to sit on the volume port once we put this bad boy together? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but we are inherently going to have this once completed via ole werm's direction.. He also referenced somewhere about the monitor being a composite monitor will not impact the aspect ratio when using hdmi...

Quote me but don't actually quote me... :lol:
Yes, he has stated to me before that when he plugs in HDMI, it automatically switches video and audio to HDMI and he can play on his TV. So HDMI out is definitely exposed/available on the GBZ.