Battery Monitoring with Tinkerboy V3

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
gambino37

Battery Monitoring with Tinkerboy V3

Post by gambino37 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Anyone know how to do this? "You can create a python script on the Pi side and just send a serial command ‘9’ and the v3 board will reply with a raw analog reading of the battery provided you connected the BATT+ to the battery’s positive pin.". Running a V3 with a DPI adapter board. I'm good with the building part, not the coding part.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Battery Monitoring with Tinkerboy V3

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:50 am

I think tinkerboy was working on the code to be implemented into the board because he's using the atmega32u4 which has about 6-8 ADC pins which can be used for battery monitoring like I had at the end of the life of my AIO.

Would be a good idea to ask him about it and if he has the code but has not broken out the pins for the ADC you can solder a resistor and wire to the pin yourself then connect to the battery.

Since this is not my product and have no idea how he has the button controls setup I can't offer you more help than this.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:15 pm

check out this other post too, since i think you're trying to do the same thing (get around the fact that the dpi adapter uses the sda/scl inputs so you can't use the ads on the psu)...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7742&p=72542#p72542

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:18 pm

I actually have been working with Rodocop to modify HoolyHoos battery monitoring script. It "works" so far but the Tinkerboy V3 board has weird power fluctuations at the 5V in. Once that happens, the monitor shuts down the unit even when plugged in.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:06 pm

gambino37 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:18 pm
I actually have been working with Rodocop to modify HoolyHoos battery monitoring script. It "works" so far but the Tinkerboy V3 board has weird power fluctuations at the 5V in. Once that happens, the monitor shuts down the unit even when plugged in.
ah "weird" v3 power fluctuations strike again. seems like something on there periodically pulls a lot of current, which drops the voltage really low. you might be able to adjust the script so that it has to maintain that low voltage longer, but ideally the board shouldn't do that.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Not sure what he has on there but from what I last glanced at it I believe USB Audio and an Atmega32u4 along with some amplifier chip or it's part of the usb audio. Can't really see what would cause such draining but is he providing some premade image? if so it might be something in it.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Good point. Maybe I'll try a fresh install. I am using his premade image.

Jakeup

Post by Jakeup » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Did you ever have luck with this? Any chance I could get a copy of the modified script you used?

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Jakeup wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 pm
Did you ever have luck with this? Any chance I could get a copy of the modified script you used?
Nope. Gave up on it. I'm pretty convinced it will never work.

Jakeup

Post by Jakeup » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Could I try? I’m building one with the v3 board but not using the dpi adapter. You mentioned you thought that was your issue . Thanks!