Teensy LC Won't Program

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
steelnation248

Teensy LC Won't Program

Post by steelnation248 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:28 pm

So, I had attempted to finish my GBZ project before I go out of town tomorrow so that I could use it while we travel to our destination. However, I was not able to finish it properly due to a couple of things. The biggest reason is that the Teensy LC I have will not accept the program code. Every time I go to upload the code, I get the "USB-Based..." error that is mentioned on their site. I am wondering if anyone else had a problem with this and if they were able to solve it? I tried uploading it on two different MacBook Pro running different OS (one is El Capitan, the other running Yosemite), as well as Windows 7 via Boot Camp. I also tried different micro USB cables with the same result.

Now, as I mentioned above, I had rushed to complete the project so I already soldered it to the USB hub board prior to trying to program it. Do you guys this could be causing the error? I will try desoldering it and re-uploading the code when I get back home but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Additionally, if I were to go the route of just wiring the controls to the GPIO pins, I planned on following the Super Game Pi instructions on Adafruit but I noticed they used GPIO 18 for one of the buttons. This same pin also serves as PWM0 in stereo audio GBZ projects. I noticed GPIO 12 also has PWM0 as an alternative function. So I would be wiring to GPIO 12 and 13 instead of 13 and 18. Has anyone done this before with the same result?

Thanks!

obey_yourmaster

Re: Teensy LC Won't Program

Post by obey_yourmaster » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:34 pm

I had similar issues with my Teensy. I found that my issue was that I was using Arduino 1.6.9. Once I switched to Arduino 1.6.8, I was able to program the Teensy as expected. Are you following the steps provided by wermy?
First install the Arduino IDE, and then install the Teensy software. The latest version of the Teensy software (which is 1.28 at the time of writing) is not compatible with Arduino 1.6.9. You can either download Arduino 1.6.8 to use with it, or download the beta of version 1.29 of the Teensy software.

Make sure to run the Arduino IDE once and then exit it before installing the Teensy software. After that’s installed, download the Arduino project I wrote, which will turn the button presses into keyboard events.

Open up the .ino file. In the Tools menu in the Arduino IDE select Board, and select Teensy LC. In the Tools menu again, select USB type, and select “Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick”. Now click the checkmark in the top left to verify/compile the sketch. If it doesn’t complain about anything, hit the right-pointing arrow right next to it. This should open up the Teensy Loader app, and it might prompt you to click the tiny button on the Teensy itself. Do that if it prompts you, and it should upload the code, and you should be good to go!
http://sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-2/

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:47 pm

here is a step by step guide i made not long ago and a lot of people had been using this

http://doom56.com/Projects/Arduino/Teen ... index.html :mrgreen:

steelnation248

Post by steelnation248 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:20 pm

obey_yourmaster wrote:I had similar issues with my Teensy. I found that my issue was that I was using Arduino 1.6.9. Once I switched to Arduino 1.6.8, I was able to program the Teensy as expected. Are you following the steps provided by wermy?

http://sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-2/
Yes, I used his steps and the ones on the Teensy site. I have only tried version 1.6.8. However, I have not tried any other software versions. I may give that a try for kicks when I get back home.
DirtyBullets wrote:here is a step by step guide i made not long ago and a lot of people had been using this

http://doom56.com/Projects/Arduino/Teen ... index.html :mrgreen:
Those are the exact steps I used except it will not upload the program. I have tried with the button pressed, without pressing it, different computers and OS's.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:58 pm

steelnation248 wrote: Those are the exact steps I used except it will not upload the program. I have tried with the button pressed, without pressing it, different computers and OS's.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!
ok cos the other thing is where people skip the 2 things in the menu

or

uninstall both programs and reinstall it again. :roll:

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:01 pm

i had a similar issue. i uninstalled both the arduino program, and the teensy driver.

i then went and installed arduino 1.6.8.

i opened the arduino program, and then closed it

i then installed the teensy driver

it worked for me afterwards.

dantheflipman

Post by dantheflipman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 am

I had this issue as well;

I started with 1.6.9 arduino software, and the beta Teensy software for 1.6.9. Not working.

Then I uninstalled both, and reinstalled 1.6.8 arduino, and accidentally reinstalled the beta Teensy software for 1.6.9. Not working.

Uninstalled again, and reinstalled 1.6.8 arduino software, and the most recent (non-beta) version of Teensy software. Not working.

Then I realized the USB cable I was using was Power Only, and just wasn't transmitting data. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Uninstalled everything
    Switched USB cables
    Installed Arduino 1.6.8
    Opened Arduino software once
    Closed Arduino software
    Installed newest non-beta teensy version
    Opened arduino software
    Chose Teensy LC from board list
    tested by using a blink example.
    Worked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:03 am

Doh.... :roll: glad you got it sorted out...maybe i should add a note about this on my guide. :mrgreen: and maybe give you credit for that idea lol

steelnation248

Post by steelnation248 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Unfortunately, I've tried everything that everyone has suggested. Multiple computers, multiple Arduino/Teensy installs, multiple cables. I will have to desolder everything and try it again. If that doesn't work, then I will either have to try buying a new Teensy LC or maybe try the GPIO route.

I appreciate all of the help so far!

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:57 am

The USB error is 9/10 issues with the USB cable. Have you done any soldering on the USB pads and bridged anything?