Hello All! New guy here

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
JPage520

Hello All! New guy here

Post by JPage520 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:43 am

Hey everybody. Wanted to pop in and say hi. I just joined the site after coming across some of Wermy's youtube vids.

I've been watching from afar, wanting to get into the DIY building world for a while. Just have been waiting to have the ability to create a decent workspace, do some research, etc before I dove in.

I've also been looking for a good project to sink my teeth into and the GBZ looks right up my alley. I have some experience soldering and I work in tech (AV) for a living so I have at least a reasonable background that will help in getting myself started. Been perusing here and a few sites looking for a solid All In One kit for the GBZ (I expect the Pi to be separate of course) if at all possible. I do understand that finding everything I'm looking for in one box may not be possible, but I'd love to get as close as I can. Does anyone have any recs?

My ideal situation would be to find a kit that isn't starting totally from scratch, but also not an "EZ" type kit that's basically just plug in connections, close it up, and go either. I'd like to do a build that doesn't require me to be an expert, but also provides enough of a challenge that I'll learn some things and improve my technique along the way.

Any help, recs, etc would be much appreciated.

Dawilson123

Re: Hello All! New guy here

Post by Dawilson123 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:30 am

Try a Kite Super All In One. Requires you to solder the Pi onto the board, solder the USB sockets, etc. And modify the case and install everything in it.

It's not easy but not too hard either.

Joeblowv1

Re: Hello All! New guy here

Post by Joeblowv1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:56 am

Welcome aboard,

The circuit sword is a bit on the more expensive side, and is relatively plug and play, however the result is a gameboy that can flawlessly handle GBA, SNES (which the zero CAN struggle with) in addition to a lot of ps1 games and some N64 games. I'm pretty busy with work and whatnot, so I don't have a ton of free time currently and found the circuit sword to a great project with a "just right" difficulty - and didn't hit a point where I was frustrated.

I tried to build a pocket pi FE from galaxy gaming, and while a good bit cheaper, I struggled a lot more with that build, and really needed to invest in some additional tools such as a much higher quality soldering iron with smaller tips, etc.

Note that, a lot of these builds are immensely simplified by owning or having access to a 3d printer. I have a monoprice mp select mini v2 and, while far from perfect, I've been able to print any part i've needed for these projects. However, you can certainly use sites that will print for you and ship to your personage, as well as lean on some helpful people here who only charge a very nominal fee for a near perfect part