High quality DMG-01 shell with properly aligned text?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
0xF0F0F0

High quality DMG-01 shell with properly aligned text?

Post by 0xF0F0F0 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:45 am

Hey there!

Does anyone know a source from where to get proper, high quality gray replacement shells for the Game Boy Classic?

I hope this doesn't break any forum rules! I also don't want to use an old original Game Boy for various reasons. There's lots and lots of replacement shells on aliexpress, ebay, amazon etc. but they all seem to be from the same batch with all text being placed a bit to the left.

Many sellers show product images show properly positioned text, but when customers show theirs, it's often wrong again. That happened to me (twice). I'll attach an image. Does anyone know a seller that doesn't have these problems?

rodocop

Re: High quality DMG-01 shell with properly aligned text?

Post by rodocop » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:42 am

I've never noticed that before, until you pointed it out. But looking back at pictures of my builds using original vs aftermarket shells i see the same issue. Weird. As for where to find ones that do not have the text slightly off, I cannot answer that. Since it seems all the ones I have ordered have been shifted like the pic you posted.

I've found retromodding to be good for shells, but I have never ordered one of the original gray ones. But their other colors seems to have the text centered properly (the non budget shells). But the original gray 'budget' shells may be the same as what you get when ordering from China. You could always contact them and ask for an actual picture.

https://www.retromodding.com/collection ... 4200889741

The non budget grey shells are nice, but don't have the Nintendo Gameboy logo at all.

https://www.retromodding.com/collection ... 7630128161

infinitLoop

Re: High quality DMG-01 shell with properly aligned text?

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:49 pm

good eye. i've noticed a few differences like that in the aftermarket ones, but hadn't seen that. mine look to be the same - except one - a clear orange one i got off handheld legend. that one looks lined up correctly.

like rodocop says tho, the retro-modding ones i have are all lined up correctly for the button fonts (but no nintendo logo). i think their light gray one is pretty close to the original in color.