Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
richardstephens

Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

Post by richardstephens » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 am

I got one of the non-Adafruit screens we've talked about and noticed, when I have it centered in the case, that the bottom bezel comes down into where the controller board and X-Y buttons are. I feel like they won't be able to coexist like this, so I got the idea of mounting the screen upside down (and modifying config files to rotate the screen 180 degrees).

This puts the large bottom bezel up at the top and allows me to vertically center the screen without overlapping the controller board. However, this puts the display's ribbon cable coming out of the top of the screen instead of the bottom. Will that adversely affect the effectiveness of the mounting bracket built in guide 3 or does it really matter? Will that affect the rest of the build at all?

I got the screen from Amazon seller "ATian Direct." Did anyone else run into this? What did you end up doing? Thanks!

infinitLoop

Re: Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

richardstephens wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 am
I got one of the non-Adafruit screens we've talked about and noticed, when I have it centered in the case, that the bottom bezel comes down into where the controller board and X-Y buttons are. I feel like they won't be able to coexist like this, so I got the idea of mounting the screen upside down (and modifying config files to rotate the screen 180 degrees).

This puts the large bottom bezel up at the top and allows me to vertically center the screen without overlapping the controller board. However, this puts the display's ribbon cable coming out of the top of the screen instead of the bottom. Will that adversely affect the effectiveness of the mounting bracket built in guide 3 or does it really matter? Will that affect the rest of the build at all?

I got the screen from Amazon seller "ATian Direct." Did anyone else run into this? What did you end up doing? Thanks!
the screens work great upside-down. just make sure you use a screen bracket that will work with that layout (most people mount like that, I think, so most bracket models you'll find should work with it). as long as it fits in there, you just need to add the line: "display_rotate=2" to your /boot/config.txt (either edit it directly on the sd card, or use "sudo nano /boot/config.txt" from a command line, in the pi.

rodocop

Re: Mounting the (non-Adafruit) screen upside down?

Post by rodocop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:52 am

Just as mentioned above, it's totally fine to mount upside down. In fact, in all of my builds I have mounted the screens upside down, it makes more sense to me to have the ribbon at the top of the gameboy too.