Battery pack

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Hoangnguyen

Battery pack

Post by Hoangnguyen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:18 am

Hey I found these on ebay and I wanted to know if anyone tried or knows anything about them.
I am thinking of getting the pack and use 14500 size batteries with it. also if I can get it to work right the on/off switch on the pack will be super useful: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-4-AA-14500 ... Ciid%253A1

infinitLoop

Re: Battery pack

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:50 am

Hoangnguyen wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:18 am
Hey I found these on ebay and I wanted to know if anyone tried or knows anything about them.
I am thinking of getting the pack and use 14500 size batteries with it. also if I can get it to work right the on/off switch on the pack will be super useful: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-4-AA-14500 ... Ciid%253A1
that link doesn't work for me, but i have used 14500 batteries in GBZs. see here

since i can't see the link, i don't know what that battery pack is, but when i used the batteries, i just put some contacts in and wired them in parallel (DO NOT use them in if your pack is wired for serial / alternating positive, negative terminals). they work fine like this.

on the plus side, you can swap them in and out easily, and use external chargers to recharge, and they fit pretty well in the battery compartment, but you do have to do some modifications. and since there are multiple cells, you can also avoid current related problems with cheap single-cell batteries.

on the down side, it can be hard to find good cells, and most advertise way too-high numbers. each battery can only get up to 800-900mah MAX (and that's really maxing it - i don't think i've seen anyone able to actually pull 900), so anything advertising more is lying (a lot of times they do things like sell them in packs of four, and then multiply the single cell rating by 4 on each one). there are also higher-capacity batteries that fit in the GB battery compartment better too (125054 is a popular one, at 4000mah). with the 14500s, you will end up somewhere in the 2000-3500mah range, depending on the cells.