USB Wifi/Ethernet Adapter!

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Racerboy

USB Wifi/Ethernet Adapter!

Post by Racerboy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Hello, I took apart this Bluetooth / WiFi Combination USB Dongle to put inside of my case, and decided to share it with you guys, hoping it will help someone in their project. The board itself measures 1.700" x 0.675" x 0.115", so it's about a 1/4" longer than a Teensy but has the same width.

I plan on just soldering the 4 pins to the bottom of my Pi Zero, but have not done so yet just because I'm not sure on the positioning of it yet, which will determine the wire length. Although I can confirm that the one from Amazon user "SMAKN" works with my Pi 2, so I'm assuming it will work with the Pi Zero as well.

It has some blue indicator LEDs on it while operating, and has given me no problems at all! I tested it with my bluetooth keyboard as well as scraped some metagame data from the internet and it worked great! It will be a really nice addition to my project, plus it's cool to say that my project has both bluetooth and wifi, on a single card!

You can get one from Amazon or from Adafruit. Personally I bought the Amazon one because it was cheaper and had free shipping with Prime :D

You can click on the image below to see more pictures I took of it:

Happy building!

Racerboy

Re: USB Wifi/Ethernet Adapter!

Post by Racerboy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:19 pm

And the pinout, if need be, is just regular USB :D

Flowlance

Post by Flowlance » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:47 pm

Looks like it has some unused pcb space that could be dremel'd away? :D

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:24 pm

i did this but was taking so much power the system kept restarting so test it first before fitting it perm as i found out the hard way :roll:

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:58 am

Flowlance wrote:Looks like it has some unused pcb space that could be dremel'd away? :D
Yes, a bit on both sides, but you need to keep that antenna in-tact on the side with the large unused pcb space!
DirtyBullets wrote:i did this but was taking so much power the system kept restarting so test it first before fitting it perm as i found out the hard way :roll:
With this exact board?

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Racerboy wrote:
DirtyBullets wrote:i did this but was taking so much power the system kept restarting so test it first before fitting it perm as i found out the hard way :roll:
With this exact board?
No i used a lowest power Wifi dongle and bluetooth 4.0 dongle as i could find but still takes too much power.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:05 am

DirtyBullets wrote:
Racerboy wrote:
With this exact board?
No i used a lowest power Wifi dongle and bluetooth 4.0 dongle as i could find but still takes too much power.
What size battery? I'm going to be using a 3600mAh with my PB1000C.

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Racerboy wrote:
DirtyBullets wrote:
Racerboy wrote: With this exact board?
What size battery? I'm going to be using a 3600mAh with my PB1000C.
i used a 2000mA battery for the Pi0 but that relates notthing since its all down to what the power boost can provide. like adafruit can give 1A and my pi3 is using one from a power bank providing 2.1A