Wire Preference

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
GigaCat

Wire Preference

Post by GigaCat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am

So I got to wondering at random: What are your go-to wire choices when building a GBZ? What brand/gauge/etc do you default to when wiring everything up?

I've taken to using 24awg for the power supply connection and 30 for GPIO common ground stuff.

McGyver

Re: Wire Preference

Post by McGyver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:48 pm

You decision is fully fine! No brand is nesessary to prefer, just maybe silicone wire since it is much more easy to solder for beginners. I suggest all signal wires to be twisted to its pair: USB, Audio and Video. Button wires and power do not nead to have this twisting.

infinitLoop

Re: Wire Preference

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm

GigaCat wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am
So I got to wondering at random: What are your go-to wire choices when building a GBZ? What brand/gauge/etc do you default to when wiring everything up?

I've taken to using 24awg for the power supply connection and 30 for GPIO common ground stuff.
that's basically what i do too, although i will use the thicker gauge on stuff like audio and video sometimes, and like mcgyver says, twisting helps to strengthen or stabilize connections too, and definitely get silicon-coated wires, since they are much easier to work into areas than other, stiffer wires. you will be much less likely to break your connections.

:geek: