Throwing in the towel

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
MichaelRampage

Throwing in the towel

Post by MichaelRampage » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:42 pm

After unsuccessfully being able to get two separate Adafruit screens to work, I've decided to throw in the towel. This whole project has been a money guzzler from the start, and I am not willing to put anymore in. Although I am pretty bummed, it would not be smart on my end to put anymore money into this. This post is for anyone wanting to create their own game boy zero. I have just about everything needed to create a GBZ and can possibly ship it all to you in one box. If anyone is interested, I'll list exactly what I have.

EDIT - ITEMS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Last edited by MichaelRampage on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

chiz

Re: Throwing in the towel

Post by chiz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Sorry to hear that @MichaelRampage. Can't blame you. I was at the same point of giving up after busting 2 USB hubs but the idea of a portable device with various emulators kept me going. (Note: I have working GB classic, GBA and GBA SP but they all cannot play other platforms obviously)

Not sure your experience with this sort of projects but I've known from the start, this isn't the typical "DIY electronics kit" level of a project. This is more on the advanced/expert level where one is willing to invest time (both to build and research) and money to finish the project. On the other hand, one can feel a certain level of accomplishment should he/she completes this project.

To me really, it's the journey that matters -- not the completed work. I learned a lot in the process and all the money I spent were the "tuition fees" required to learn.

I'm sure there would be a lot of folks here in the forums interested with the GBZ supplies you want to sell. I recommend listing them down one-by-one and perhaps a pic/link to go with them would really be nice.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:15 pm

MichaelRampage wrote:After unsuccessfully being able to get two separate Adafruit screens to work, I've decided to throw in the towel. This whole project has been a money guzzler from the start, and I am not willing to put anymore in. Although I am pretty bummed, it would not be smart on my end to put anymore money into this. This post is for anyone wanting to create their own game boy zero. I have just about everything needed to create a GBZ and can possibly ship it all to you in one box. If anyone is interested, I'll list exactly what I have.
Interested in knowing what you have and how much you're looking to get.

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:06 pm

i totally understand as im feeling the same over this pi3 audio and keyboard issue, but im just waiting on another amp and my new keyboards arrived (better quality) will have another bash at it soon but im also wanting to build some new FPV quads lol so many things to keep me busy also building another gameboy zero for someone but on the cheep (its fun with no support lol) :mrgreen:

ggat

Post by ggat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:39 pm

I'all take what you've got PM me the parts list and price. Thanks

moobox

Post by moobox » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:54 am

Sorry that you've ran into so much trouble with your build, hope I don't suffer the same fate.

I'm just starting my first build (first Pi experience period actually). Would be helpful to have any parts you could send. If they aren't all spoken for yet shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Thanks.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 am

MichaelRampage wrote:After unsuccessfully being able to get two separate Adafruit screens to work, I've decided to throw in the towel. This whole project has been a money guzzler from the start, and I am not willing to put anymore in. Although I am pretty bummed, it would not be smart on my end to put anymore money into this. This post is for anyone wanting to create their own game boy zero. I have just about everything needed to create a GBZ and can possibly ship it all to you in one box. If anyone is interested, I'll list exactly what I have.
Sorry to see you go! :( I know it can be pretty frustrating when things go wrong on these projects, especially when it ends up costing more and more money, so I totally get it.

I might suggest saving your stuff for a rainy day though, if you're not desperate to recoup some of the money. Who knows, in 6 months or a year maybe you'll be looking for a project and have a half-finished one in the GBZ to pick back up. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:49 am

Really sad, I would have recommand you to talk to Adafruit, they are comprencive, once I bought the screen that goes on the header of the pi, it did not work they replaced me just after showing a screenshot, I did not even send it back, and they nicely sent another one freely.

I hope you won't gave up on electronic engineering even if this project disappointed you :( <3
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad