GRRRR! Frustrating sound issue

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
poxbox3030

GRRRR! Frustrating sound issue

Post by poxbox3030 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 am

Ok, using info from a board member I managed to mix stereo to the mono output (I play Sonic a lot and it was annoying that I couldn't hear the sound of rings being collected properly as they alternate sound channels). It worked for a bit and then I started getting constant 'white noise', similar sounding to when your between radio stations on an analog radio. However the stereo/mono mix remained. I followed a guide and added disable_audio_dither=1 to the config.

The constant hissing stopped, but then I lost the second audio channel from GPIO 18. I managed to get it back using pin 19 but the white noise started again.

It seems to be a continuing cycle. I get one or the other. However now I can't seem to get the second channel back on either pin 18 or 19.

Is there ANYTHING anyone can suggest, or is it probably best to just give up and obtain a USB sound card? I'd like to avoid that if possible as I would then have to remove my wifi dongle as there are no USB ports left in my GBZ.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

nsqpdn

Re: GRRRR! Frustrating sound issue

Post by nsqpdn » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:21 am

If you can't achieve to mix the audios via software, you could try to implement a simple audio mixing circuit.
If I find one that can work, I'll share it.

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:11 pm

i know the feeling, i get this noise but I'm taking a break atm (doing FPV quads)

This is the problem im having
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBs-gZ3qRrM

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:18 pm

DirtyBullets wrote: This is the problem im having
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBs-gZ3qRrM
Question: do you have the volume wheel connected to your GBPi3 build?

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:46 pm

dirtybeagles wrote: Question: do you have the volume wheel connected to your GBPi3 build?
Yes i do but its not caused by that or it would have crackled when spinning the wheel.

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:26 pm

DirtyBullets wrote:Yes i do but its not caused by that or it would have crackled when spinning the wheel.
All I can tell you is my experience. I never had static that bad as you have in your video.

When I used GPIO 18 and 13 in combination with the Helder All-in-one audio board for my second build, I did get really bad static. To fix it, I pressed my fingers on the various components of my audio connection and everything buzzed when I touched it. I then noticed moving my volume wheel actually didnt do anything. I then soldered a ground wire to it and the problem stopped.

Now, for my first GB0 build, I used a USB audio card. That was connect connected to the wheel, headphone jack, and an amplifier i got off amazon. I got pretty bad static at first until I moved my 5v of the AMP being connected to my powerboost and moved it to a 5v input of my PI0. I was thinking that the AMP was not able to pull the right amount.. or too much amps from the powerboost and moving it to the PI0 5v GPIO helped regulate it.

I hope this helps you. I have a diagram on my PI0 build that i think you have seen. http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=110

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:14 pm

tronicgr wrote:Hi,

Look how I fixed same issue here:
https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=98693

Thanks
Thanos
mmm cos i trimed the board down i no longer have GPIO's but do you think getting 5v from a spare USB slot be ok?

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:18 pm

dirtybeagles wrote:I hope this helps you. I have a diagram on my PI0 build that i think you have seen. http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=110
I have been following this but was confused with why would you hve Gnd going to 5v input on the amp and so on so i wired 5v from the power board, all grounds connected to the amp, vol, headphone socket, but maybe the 5v input is too dirty, but as the post above suggest getting power from the GPIO's but ive cut my down but was wondering if its possible to use the 5v from a spare USB slot?

dirtybeagles

Post by dirtybeagles » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:48 pm

DirtyBullets wrote:
dirtybeagles wrote:I hope this helps you. I have a diagram on my PI0 build that i think you have seen. http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=110
I have been following this but was confused with why would you hve Gnd going to 5v input on the amp and so on so i wired 5v from the power board, all grounds connected to the amp, vol, headphone socket, but maybe the 5v input is too dirty, but as the post above suggest getting power from the GPIO's but ive cut my down but was wondering if its possible to use the 5v from a spare USB slot?
I do not see a problem with 5v USB slot. You will get the same voltage regulated. I would also tryoving the ground from the headphone jack to the USB ground. Unlike my diagram.