Constraints on going pocket ?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
day

Constraints on going pocket ?

Post by day » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 am

Hi all,

So I have been lurking for a while now, reading and trying to understand as much as I can as a novice how to make my own GBZ !

Now I am wondering about some things and before getting into the action, I want to have your advices and be sure that it would be feasible, or else understand why not.

1) could this mod be done with a game boy pocket ? if so, why wasn't it done so ? any particular reason ?
I am willing to try it but wanted to understand what are the constraints or things to let go when going with a GB pocket.
The biggest part in this project are from the gameboy itself, and the screen, so going to a GB pocket would be feasible I have the impression.

2) Going with a GB Pocket, I would need a 3" screen right ? would that fit ? main thing would be to have a small screen board, any advices ?

3) would it be possible to add a pi camera in the cartridge ? I saw a post saying so (http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=899). anyone gave it a try or would be willing to share more info/tuto on how to do that ?

4) talking about the cartridge, would it be possible to also add the RPI Zero in it *with* the pi camera ? big space saving ! someone did already put the RPI Zero in the cartridge (http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=901) but was wondering about also adding the pi camera. any thoughts ?

5) how difficult would it be to also add an analog stick ? any guide/tuto on how to do that ?

6) adding net play to play online is 'just' software, right ?

Thank you for any advices, I would really love to build my own GBZpc (p for pocket, c for camera) but want to know what would be the constraints.

Cheers,

day

Kilren

Re: Constraints on going pocket ?

Post by Kilren » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am

You're right concerning the size of the boards that the controller PCB and screen driver are the largest. However you have to take in account the true size of a board as soon as you solder wires (it gets a lot thicker) and wire management.

You can make this system in a GB color, but you better be on top of your game. I highly doubt you'll have a removable cartridge either. Instead, you'll cut out the shell and glue it in place in hopes of gaining just enough space to get it to close.

Experience speaks best, figure out how to do it. Make it possible.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:43 am

Kilren wrote:You're right concerning the size of the boards that the controller PCB and screen driver are the largest. However you have to take in account the true size of a board as soon as you solder wires (it gets a lot thicker) and wire management.

You can make this system in a GB color, but you better be on top of your game. I highly doubt you'll have a removable cartridge either. Instead, you'll cut out the shell and glue it in place in hopes of gaining just enough space to get it to close.

Experience speaks best, figure out how to do it. Make it possible.
Yep, like @Kilren said I bet you can do it but you'll likely have to forego the cartridge slot. The GBC/GBP are both much smaller than the DMG.
ImageImageImageImage

day

Post by day » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:04 pm

thanks for your answers !!

as kite said and referenced, xodustech did it with a full size Pi, but he did what you mentionned Kilren ("Instead, you'll cut out the shell and glue it in place in hopes of gaining just enough space to get it to close").

Therefore I am wondering why wouldnt it be possible given it was done with a full size Pi and that other in this forum did managed to have the Pi Zero in the cartridge, hence saving even more space.

Any advices on a good 3" screen that would work ? I would be willing to give it a shot :D