controller issues

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
sparkyspectre

controller issues

Post by sparkyspectre » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 pm

hello everyone!

the issue I seem to be having is after I have programed my teensy using the scrip file that was provided in the guide for the Gameboy zero is when I hook it up to test it with my pi zero. I can start to configure it but the buttons don't seem to work right and things are not working the way I expected. I am able to navigate just fine using a USB SNES controller with no issues. when I tested my teensy using word pad I notice that I'm getting double letter presses for some reason. I have tested my connections and can seem to find an issue there. I am using the PCB board from kitsch-bent.com any help would be appreciated.

Kilren

Re: controller issues

Post by Kilren » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:32 pm

sparkyspectre wrote:hello everyone!

the issue I seem to be having is after I have programed my teensy using the scrip file that was provided in the guide for the Gameboy zero is when I hook it up to test it with my pi zero. I can start to configure it but the buttons don't seem to work right and things are not working the way I expected. I am able to navigate just fine using a USB SNES controller with no issues. when I tested my teensy using word pad I notice that I'm getting double letter presses for some reason. I have tested my connections and can seem to find an issue there. I am using the PCB board from kitsch-bent.com any help would be appreciated.
If you are getting double button press, it means that you have a short somewhere between the two buttons. Look incredibly close at the solder points, it's likely that a wire is touching another ever so slightly. If you have a multimeter to test continuity, it'll speed up the process.

sparkyspectre

Post by sparkyspectre » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Kilren wrote:
sparkyspectre wrote:hello everyone!

If you are getting double button press, it means that you have a short somewhere between the two buttons. Look incredibly close at the solder points, it's likely that a wire is touching another ever so slightly. If you have a multimeter to test continuity, it'll speed up the process.

So I went back and looked closely with a magnified glass and my multimeter and it turned out that I did have a short. Thanks for your help with the problem.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:51 pm

sparkyspectre wrote:
So I went back and looked closely with a magnified glass and my multimeter and it turned out that I did have a short. Thanks for your help with the problem.
Woot. Always glad to hear that it is an easy fix.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm

@sparkyspectre

I have this issue.

Within games all seems fine and playable but sometimes when selecting between consoles or choosing a console it double presses and loads the first game on the list.

Also if i reconfigure the controller in Retroarch it goes a bit crazy and does multiple presses.

Ill assess my teensy and pcb wiring later must be a small short there somewhere.

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 am

Had a similar issue when testing the teensy: one button key pressed was detected bouncing. Finally it was my script on the teensy: same keyboard command was used from two inputs!

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Couldn't find my short but rewired everything (needed tidying anyway) and all working nicely. :mrgreen: