Cheap gbzero

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Nbuuifx

Cheap gbzero

Post by Nbuuifx » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:30 am

I tried posting this morning but it doesn't seem to have gone on.

I'm in the process of making a cheap Gameboy zero. So far I've made a kind of working mockup. I'm just missing battery and sound.

I had a broken Gameboy and an old pi zero from a previous project. I've cut the board down and soldered wires on to make the controller. I've wired it up to the gpio pins. I've 3d printed a surround to go around the screen and give screw holes in the correct places.

It all works pretty good, just after a cheapo way to get sound and battery now. It currently has a usb lead coming out of the bottom which has to be plugged in to work. Works on the power bank though so can be kind of portable!

Has anyone tried the original speaker direct to the gpio pins for pwm sound without an amp? Does it make any noise? Could that be used? Are there any bits on the old circuit board that can be reused?

On a really cheap side of things could some high capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries work? It would give 4.8v at 2500mah? I'm guessing it would make it awkward with regards to not being able to use mains at all then.

Any ideas to make it really cheap? It has cost me £8 for the screen so far.