Benefits of dual analog sticks?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
straddle

Benefits of dual analog sticks?

Post by straddle » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:04 am

I'm currently planning my Circuit Sword CM3 build that I received just before Christmas. I see that some people have install two analog sticks on their build. I never owned an N64 or a PS1 so I'm wondering whether two sticks are beneficial and/or necessary for some games? Can anyone tell me why you would want two analog sticks, and which games they are needed for? Is it worth it? My concern is that it makes the front of the device pretty cluttered.

RxBrad

Re: Benefits of dual analog sticks?

Post by RxBrad » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Ape Escape on Playstation is the only thing I know of that REQUIRES dual analog. For other PSX games like Metal Gear Solid, it's nice to have but not required.

It might also be nice to have for some arcade games like Robotron or Smash TV.
Image Image

straddle

Post by straddle » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

That's helpful. Thanks!

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:52 am

I like to map the N64's C buttons to a second joystick. This works really well for games that control the camera with C buttons, like Mario 64. I also second Robotron (so great) and Smash TV, they are much better with sticks. Ape Escape won't work at all without L3 and R3 though, so if that matters get sticks that click.