GameBoy Zero build with Raspberry Pi 3+ - Adding a Female Micro HDMI

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
kordar99

GameBoy Zero build with Raspberry Pi 3+ - Adding a Female Micro HDMI

Post by kordar99 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Hello,

First post so forgive me if this is not the correct place to post this.

I am building a GameBoy Zero with a Raspberry Pi 3+. I already know that I will have to do some serious modification to the Pi, but I would like to include a Micro HDMI port out so that it can still be used as a gamestation. I am planning to use a Tinkerboy DPI adapter, which requires positioning the Pi close to the top of the case; I am also using the tinkerboy powerswitch, which sits near the HDMI adapter on the Pi in this orientation.

The Micro HDMI port out is not necessary, but I figured if I can include it why not? My current plan is to purchase a cheap Male HDMI to Female Micro HDMI cable, trim off most of the protective plastic to make it fit in the limited space and route the port out of the side of the case with the external connector hole; I could also route it through the cartridge slot and out the top of the hollowed case.

I have a few questions regarding the logistics of this; firstly, If I have the DPI adaptor and 3.5 inch screen soldered to the Pi, will it even recognize an HDMI out? Also, if it registers any HDMI out (as in the micro HDMI adapter which goes from the Pi to the exterior of the case) will it display an image on the screen?

Finally, this has more to do with the power system of the GameBoy; I am using Helders battery, and plan to attach a JST connector to the powerboost. I figured that a quick disconnect would be pertinent in case something went wrong, but I was also wondering if I could remove the battery and let the whole system be run from USB power without a battery connected; is the powerboost capable of doing this, or am I trying to do too much with this build?

Thanks in advance. I can attach pictures of the planned layout if need be.

kordar99

Re: GameBoy Zero build with Raspberry Pi 3+ - Adding a Female Micro HDMI

Post by kordar99 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:52 am

Follow up to this post; A stripped RPI3B will not fit with the Tinkerboy Power Switch unless the HDMI in is removed. Making the rest of the post regarding powering without a battery moot (although its possible this will work.)