Charging light always on.

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
hueblo

Charging light always on.

Post by hueblo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:28 pm

When I plug in power to the micro usb port and the charging light turns on immediately. The switch works and turns on the unit. When I plug in the battery there is no change since the battery charging light since its already on. The charge light also turns on when I plug power into the built in micro USB port, I recall the charge light turning on before I even soldered it but didn't think anything of it. Is anyone else having this problem? I did a continuity test with my multi meter and the test did indicate the USB wire and the right side of the LED are connected. Is this normal? I re-soldered everything on the board just to make sure and no go.

SidSilver

Re: Charging light always on.

Post by SidSilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:24 am

Do you have a multimeter ? Check for shorts
Check also that you haven't reverse gnd and 5v from your external micro USB connector

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:00 am

I do have a multi meter, After I de soldered everything I set my multimeter to continuity noticed that usb pin and the right side (based on pic) of the LED are connected but there does seem to be a short. Can anyone else verify that on there power supply? It would be greatly appreciated.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:18 am

hueblo wrote:I do have a multi meter, After I de soldered everything I set my multimeter to continuity noticed that usb pin and the right side (based on pic) of the LED are connected but there does seem to be a short. Can anyone else verify that on there power supply? It would be greatly appreciated.
It's normal, I've checked on my powerboost 1000C

Camble

Post by Camble » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:30 am

SidSilver wrote: It's normal, I've checked on my powerboost 1000C
I don't get this with no battery connected.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 am

Camble wrote:
SidSilver wrote: It's normal, I've checked on my powerboost 1000C
I don't get this with no battery connected.
weird, I do and my powerboost works perfectly.
no battery connected, the usb pin near the charging led and the led are connected.

If I power my powerboost, with no battery connected, the led doesn't light on.
If I plug my battery, I can charge it, and the leds are OK, orange when charging, green when charged

Quatrerwin

Post by Quatrerwin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 am

I don't know if this will help, but Adafruit has the schematic for the powerboost 1000C online at https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/24638
Last edited by Quatrerwin on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 am

The switch has to be set to on to charge the battery right? So the charging led is on as soon as I plug in power and stays on if Iturn it on with the switch. So I can't really tell if the battery is charging or not. I believe I'm charging it as we speak (switch set to on,blue led on), if the led stays on while running off battery them in screwed.

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:29 am

hueblo wrote:The switch has to be set to on to charge the battery right? So the charging led is on as soon as I plug in power and stays on if Iturn it on with the switch. So I can't really tell if the battery is charging or not. I believe I'm charging it as we speak (switch set to on,blue led on), if the led stays on while running off battery them in screwed.
hi, did you sort this? i seem to have the same issue when i plug it in without a battery attached the charge light comes on?
i attached a battery and left it plugged in and off assuming battery was charging but after many hours the charge light is still on, it has not turned green?
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:43 am

Looking at the datasheet for the charger, it looks like the charge LED is connected to a low battery status pin. Maybe there's an issue with your battery?