Razor's GBZ progress

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
razor

Re: Razor's GBZ progress

Post by razor » Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Quick status update. PCB from Brian (@1461748123) came in today.

My measurements for the new buttons might be a little off..but should work anyway. Pretty much have the major parts now. Just waiting on the pi zero to go in stock somewhere and my li-ion cells to come.
buttons.jpg
buttons.jpg (158.2 KiB) Viewed 9175 times
buttons-back.jpg
buttons-back.jpg (188.43 KiB) Viewed 9175 times

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 am

Nice progress, the zero is in stock at the pi hut now, took a week or so to get to San Diego from the UK with normal post, it's a good option if you don't mind paying a little extra than what you'd pay from a US supplier

Raquor

Post by Raquor » Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm curious what your planning to do to attach the cartridge slot. I just ordered a shell today and have been poking around at various cartridge slots but wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the hassle of figuring out how to attach the DS one to the GB shell.

Let us know how that works out for you. :)

ylwsub68

Post by ylwsub68 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:26 pm

That looks great! I really like the idea of keeping the battery compartment intact and actually using that space. I can't wait to see how you cram it all in there. Also good choice on the black GB shell. I purchased 2 from that same seller for my next two GBZs. :)

razor

Post by razor » Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 pm

@Robvp Thanks. I actually woke up at 4am pacific and saw an email from pi hut saying it was in stock to placed an order and it's already shipped :)

@Raquor You probably saw it in my parts list but I got this piece: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172090308991 It's for the DS and it doesn't fit the normal gameboy cartridge but you can make a really easy mod to make it fit. All you have to do is clip the 2 sides. See this image:

@ylwsub68 My batteries should be coming in this week. Already have the power control module for the battery and when the battery gets there, i'll see if everything fits and I'll update everyone with my progress here. FYI, I got 4 of these batteries: http://www.batteryjunction.com/li14reaasi38.html

Robvp

Post by Robvp » Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 am

I was wondering what to use as cart reader since I don't want to hack up my DMG internals as they still work, then someone gave me a broken GBC, so I'll be using that

DeltaShadow

Post by DeltaShadow » Tue May 17, 2016 8:37 am

Did you remove the black from the screen protector edges or is it still on there it is hard to tell due to your case being black?

razor

Post by razor » Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 am

@DeltaShadow I kept the black around the bezel...and I even drew it in with a black sharpie on the curved parts. I cut the housing around the screen and left a little lip that the black on the screen protector will hide.

DeltaShadow

Post by DeltaShadow » Wed May 18, 2016 5:14 am

@razor that is smart I pit black sharpie all around the lip on on mine Was the spot where you filled curve in with sharpie noticeable at all? Was going to just order a new screen cover but this has me changing my mind on that. Just wanting the cleanest loot that I can get. Also what adhesive did you use to hold your screen protector in place?

razor

Post by razor » Wed May 18, 2016 12:25 pm

@DeltaShadow The spot isn't noticeable without looking really closely at it. I think it also helps that my case is black so it all kinda blends together. I haven't glued it down yet. Right now, just holding it in place with a piece of tape but thinking a dab of super glue would probably work.