Retroheads GB2

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Retrohead95

Re: Retroheads GB2

Post by Retrohead95 » Tue May 17, 2016 6:28 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:That doesn't look too bad, what's wrong with it? :|
Raquor wrote:I agree with crispy_tofu, the back looks okay to me, maybe try adding a slight angle to the hole to "pretty" it up a bit?
DirtyBullets wrote:If there are some gaps then why not make it even better by adding some LED's and let it glow rings around the buttons? :geek:
Thanks for the support guys. You're right. I Just got frustrated in the moment and took a break and Its not looking as bad as I thought. It's still looking pretty rough around the edges though so I'll just smoothen the edges and maybe add an angle as @raquor said. I was thinking about just widening the hole and adding an l2 and r2 button in between :shock:

I'm really happy with how the front came out. The adafruit screen is really wide so I had to lose most of the bezel. I test fitted the screen and now I should be able to play without any of the screen being clipped off or hidden behind the bezel.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 8184 times
I also managed to mod the adafruit screen to get it to run off of 5 volts. Hooked it up to my modded Xbox and I think the screen quality is better than enough for the gbz.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 8184 times
I Still can't wait for my pi zero from thepihut to get here. I Forgot to order the battery and the teensy but don't feel like paying 13 bucks for shipping from adafruit. The pi zero from thepihut is shipping from the Uk and only costed around $5 for shipping so im guessing adafruit must be charging me extra for shipping from Mars lol and Amazon wants $25 for the adafruit battery so now the waiting game begins. I Should've just waited and got everything from adafruit all at once :(

Raquor

Post by Raquor » Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 pm

How did you go about determining where to put the x and y holes? I'm hoping my shell arrives soon and that will be my first step using the same pcb. :)

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 pm

Raquor wrote:How did you go about determining where to put the x and y holes? I'm hoping my shell arrives soon and that will be my first step using the same pcb. :)
I printed and used this template http://sudomod.com/forums/topic/templat ... -y-buttons. It helped a lot and is pretty accurate, I just printed to exact size, taped it down and dremeled it :D.

Raquor

Post by Raquor » Tue May 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Retrohead95 wrote:I printed and used this template http://sudomod.com/forums/topic/templat ... -y-buttons. It helped a lot and is pretty accurate, I just printed to exact size, taped it down and dremeled it :D.
Awesome, thanks for that! I hadn't seen that post. :D

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 pm

That's good to hear. :)

chiz

Post by chiz » Wed May 18, 2016 4:11 am

Retrohead95 wrote:Well I managed to ruin the back of this case too trying to get the l and r button holes. Guess I'll have to order a different housing and just using the rear screw hole tactile switches like @wermy did :(

image.jpeg
I agree it's not that bad. Besides, it's the front that is mostly visible, not the back.

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:58 am

chiz wrote:
Retrohead95 wrote:Well I managed to ruin the back of this case too trying to get the l and r button holes. Guess I'll have to order a different housing and just using the rear screw hole tactile switches like @wermy did :(

image.jpeg
I agree it's not that bad. Besides, it's the front that is mostly visible, not the back.
True. As long as the buttons fit I guess. I decided to give it another go. Found a bunch of plastic that I dremeled off the front bezel and welded it to the back to cover the gap. Still pretty rough but I'll add my finishing touches to the button and complete the welding once my dremel battery is done charging...again :D

Here's what it looks like with the plastic welded back in place.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 8124 times

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Wed May 18, 2016 3:29 pm

Looking like it's going well! :)

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:28 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:Looking like it's going well! :)
It is. Almost getting the exact fit. Buttons fit a lot more snug now.
image.jpg
image.jpg (681.68 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
Welded the other button hole to get ready for sanding later :D.
image.jpg
image.jpg (606.54 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
Welding plastic is a lot easier than I thought. Possibilities are endless. I now don't have to worry about messing up because I can just weld it back and start over. Since I now have the l and r buttons where the cartridge slot use to be im thinking of using a gba or ds gba slot since it's a lot thinner and smaller. I'll place it north of the button holes and cut the cartridge to get it to cut off at the top of the Gameboy zero. Now I can get that stock look I've been looking for. I'll just weld the plastic bits(screw holes etc) in place and sand it down rather than using hot glue.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed May 18, 2016 4:50 pm

@Retrohead95

Here. You'll be incredibly thankful over that stinking chargeable one you have.

WEN Rotary Tool