Larsen's GBZ - WiP

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
larsen2011

Larsen's GBZ - WiP

Post by larsen2011 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:23 am

Hi community,

I've read as a guest since months, now it is about time to get going I guess...

I will build 2 GBZ at the same time, with essentially the same components to make life easier.

For now I've already purchased the following:

- GB cases (from Ebay - broken, so they include the electronics (speaker, head phone jack, cartridge reader, volume wheel and on-off switch)
- Powerboost 1000c (from Exp-Tech)
- Raspberry Pi zero (from Pimoroni)
- @helder's All in One Board (see Buy, Sell, Trade Thread)
- Screen 640x480 (from Wankdastore)
- SNES Controllers for the buttons (from Ebay)
- Screen protector (from @dominator)
- Label for the cartridge (from @dominator)
- Old gameboy games (from Ebay, will be used for the cartridge shell)
- Power adapter GB to micro usb (from Ebay
- Buttons for R and L button (will buy from @fleder)
- Components for Graceful shutdown
- USB Cartridge (potential to buy from @prerunnerseth)
- Cables

Purchased, yet to arrive:

- LiPo (from Ebay)

Thanks for the hint @yves1984
This battery will fit in the original compartment without modifying it!!!

I'm planning to not use an additional USB audio, as of now I don't see any benefit and it would take up space.
I also will look into Kite's option to directly connect the screen with the board, still trying to understand if it works with the 640x480. I do like the key setup on helder's board better, therefore the hugh all in one board that Kite is working at is not interesting for me as of now.
Oh, and of course I want the graceful shutdown included... Also still waiting if someone will come up with a board for that...

I will keep this updated once parts arrive...

*Updated the list of bought components
Last edited by larsen2011 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

larsen2011

Re: Larsen's GBZ - Planning phase

Post by larsen2011 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:22 am

Hi everyone,

After quite some time reading, I finally started my GBZ projects.

While drilling the button holes on the right GB, the drill got stuck and small parts of the shell cracked apart. Nothing major and fine for myself, the left one is still fine and will be my nephew's Christmas present...
Bezel on the right like looks ok already, this hasn't been finished with sanding paper yet.
IMG_7420.JPG
IMG_7420.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 6985 times
I also started the wiring, the screen is alive. Here I also made a small mistake when desoldering the pins, too much heat and the small copper rings in the whole were gone. After using my Xacto knife, I was able to solder directly to the printed outline, unfortunately I didn't use hot glue the first time, so that connection also ripped apart. Some small piece of copper was still available and I managed to get it working, and this time I secured it using hot glue.
IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7417.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 6985 times
I'm quite sure that I wouldn't need both 5V and GND cables provided, but as this part seemed to have some damages from desoldering, I chose to be on the safe side.
The second board came out much cleaner, will post updates soon...

larsen2011

Re: Larsen's GBZ - WiP

Post by larsen2011 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Short update...
I added the tact buttons on the back, installed the USB port as well as the switch at the battery compartment to be able to choose between USB to Pi or control board to Pi.
As I found the fitting battery (still not here yet), I also added a connector to the compartment. Both cuts are not super clean, but working.

On the left I will install the button board for the screen, I rebuilt it to a smaller version, still giving me all five buttons. Will add pictures of that once I've installed it.
IMG_7442.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG (642.93 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
IMG_7443.JPG
IMG_7443.JPG (194.08 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
Next update in about 2 weeks, next business trip to come...

larsen2011

Post by larsen2011 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:03 am

HELP needed!

Ok team,

I'm done with putting everything together more or less.

Unfortunately I have two major issues at the moment:

1. No sound.
Using the standard wiring diagram and updating the config.txt per the PWM audio guide didn't bring any result.

Pictures show connection on PI, brown and grey cable. And also the connection to volume wheel...
IMG_7471.JPG
IMG_7471.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 6692 times
IMG_7470.JPG
IMG_7470.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 6692 times
IMG_7468.JPG
IMG_7468.JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 6692 times
2. Power switch works "wrong way"
When putting in a USB cable, having the switch in the off position, the system still starts. Sliding the switch in the on position shuts down the system. I have added the graceful shutdown, but self-build. I see the potential problem there, but have no idea how to fix this.

Wires on the switch are:

top left: 3,3V on PI
top right: Shutdown (GPIO 27)
bottom left: EN (Powerboost)
bottom right: connected to Drain

The board is located at a different location in the GBZ, therefore not visible in pictures.
IMG_7469.JPG
IMG_7469.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 6692 times
IMG_7467.JPG
IMG_7467.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 6692 times

larsen2011

Post by larsen2011 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:51 am

Another week, another update.

Sound is working now. Eventually found out that I need different wiring for my GB jack, added this in the headphone jack guide by Fleder.

Power switch at least works as it should, but I'm unsure about the safe shutdown. Going back to work and check my wiring again...