a3k4's Game Nerd Zero (Wiring Diagrams, Design, etc)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
a3k4

a3k4's Game Nerd Zero (Wiring Diagrams, Design, etc)

Post by a3k4 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I have mostly pulled together the parts I need to build my Gameboy Zero. featuring:
  • SNES R1 & L1 buttons. I'm finishing up a 3D printed mount for the two R1 & L1 buttons; once I have it printed, and I'm sure it works, I'll share the design.
  • Gameboy Advance (GBA) cartridge. A DMG cartridge won't fit with R/L buttons.
  • @Helder's All-In-One Gameboy Zero PCB. Thank you for the board and Fritzing file!
  • @Popcorn's Graceful Shutdowns. Thank you for the wiring diagram and instructions!
  • Based on @Cannikin's Wiring Diagram. Thank you for the wiring diagram!
  • Also special thanks to @Fleder, @Helder, and @Camble for their insights into headphone jacks!
Take a gander at my guide for detailed diagrams. The latest version is 2.5 - please do not use old versions of the diagrams!

Design
[spoiler="What my Gameboy Zero will look like"]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by a3k4 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:09 am, edited 21 times in total.
My wiring diagrams and schematics for Helder's boards and graceful shutdowns.

incontrasttogray

Re: a3k4's Game Nerd Zero

Post by incontrasttogray » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:01 pm

a3k4 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have mostly pulled together the parts I need to build my Gameboy Zero. I'm happy to share my circuit diagram featuring:
  • SNES R1 & L1 buttons. I'm finishing up a 3D printed mount for the two R1 & L1 buttons; once I have it printed, and I'm sure it works, I'll share the design.
  • @Helder's All-In-One Gameboy Zero PCB. Thank you in advance for the board, can't wait for it to arrive and for the Fritzing file!
  • @Popcorn's Graceful Shutdowns. Thank you for the wiring diagram and instructions!
  • Based on @Cannikin's Wiring Diagram. Thank you for the wiring diagram!

Your the bomb.com sir.
Last edited by incontrasttogray on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey Sudomodonites,
Aspiring industrial designer looking to make some modifications to the system housing.

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:41 am

Hello

I need to understand a little more. Is the micro USB hooked up so you can use it as data in if you wanted to? its not necessary for this graceful shutdown right? How is the All in one getting power? Why is the SD card reader hooked up to USB hub? I noticed in Helders thread someone indicated that its hooked up to the USB hub if you follow wermys tutorial but I looked at it and was not able to find anything indicating that the SD card reader is hooked up to USB.
Last edited by hueblo on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:54 am

It does seem like only the Pi will get power. There is no power connection to the USB hub or the screen.

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:33 am

alien0matic wrote:It does seem like only the Pi will get power. There is no power connection to the USB hub or the screen.
I overlapped the wires (perhaps I shouldn't have) that go from the Pololu Slide Switch to the screen, the Pi, and the All-In-One Board/USB hub. I'll be posting a breadboarded diagram shortly that might make that a bit more clear. (Although the mess of wires will make it harder to read overall.)

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:05 pm

hueblo wrote:Is the micro USB hooked up so you can use it as data in if you wanted to? its not necessary for this graceful shutdown right? How is the All in one getting power? Why is the SD card reader hooked up to USB hub? I noticed in Helders thread someone indicated that its hooked up to the USB hub if you follow wermys tutorial but I looked at it and was not able to find anything indicating that the SD card reader is hooked up to USB.
Yup, the micro USB is hooked up only so I can get data in through that port. I figure if I'm going to have a USB connection, I might as well make the exterior one active for data.

The All-In-One gets power (I think) through the "USB to Pi Zero" red wire, that is then connected to the Pololu switch. It should get power when that switch is activated, right along side the Pi and screen. I've edited the diagram picture to make this a bit more clear. @Helder, can you correct me if I'm wrong on that?

With the SD card, I misinterpreted @Wermy's tutorial, @jermzz made a great post that helped me out.
jermzz wrote:I struggled with this based on kb's diagram. I wasn't familiar with Sd and USB and couldn't make any sense of what his diagram was saying vs what the pi zero pads were as they were completely different.

Wermy's USB hub is connected to the USB pads on the pi (22 and 23 I believe) and I got the KB SD cartridge working using the following, which is how wermy has it.

1 VDD/VCC - PP8 (3.3v)
2 DAT2 - PP18
3 CS - PP19
4 DATA_IN - PP15
5 SCLK - PP14
6 DATA_OUT - PP16
7 DAT1 - PP17
8 VSS/GND - PP6
I've edited my diagram to reflect the change (also using a better labeled SD card reader)

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 pm

Love the updated diagram. Just an fyi I believe PP5 is also ground, I hooked up my SD card reader based on the forum post below and it worked. Ground wouldn't have to be ran all the way to the Pololu mini. Unless the ground needs to be ran to that board for graceful shutdown to work?

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 9691#p9691

a3k4

Post by a3k4 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:53 pm

hueblo wrote:... Just an fyi I believe PP5 is also ground, I hooked up my SD card reader based on the forum post below and it worked. Ground wouldn't have to be ran all the way to the Pololu mini. Unless the ground needs to be ran to that board for graceful shutdown to work?
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 9691#p9691
You're definitely correct. I should have and the SD card's GND go to PP5. I've updated the diagram to reflect that.

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:05 am

Interesting read i look forward to seeing your build :mrgreen:

chiz

Post by chiz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:21 am

This diagram will definitely come in handy. Thanks for making this @a3k4!