GameBoy Pi 3B+ display case!

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
kaning

GameBoy Pi 3B+ display case!

Post by kaning » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I have decided to build an acrylic case to display the GameBoy while I don't play instead of having it closed on a bag somewhere. Such a beauty! :D

I bought my case from Sora-Shop (EU)
I went for custom made size since all the available options i found weren't the ideal size.
Dimensions: Width: 15 cm, Depth: 10 cm, Height: 18 cm

The Base is composed of 3 acrylic layers (3mm each), I recommend to have a 5mm one in the middle to help with leds.
I took them apart and made the following changes.
  • Led circuit
SpoilerShow
Simple LED circuit with 4 red Leds and 2 white leds. i made the holes for the white lights on an angle so they pointing towards the GameBoy. Some grooves were carved on this plate so the cables could fit in.

• Middle acrylic plate hole
SpoilerShow
I added two black thick paper on both sides of the middle plate for two reasons:
So that the white light wouldn't interfere with the red leds light.
And so that the red light is only seen in the middle layer. (top layer is black, second and third are transparent).

• Base final result
SpoilerShow

• Retropie sticker
SpoilerShow
At this point I was happy with the result but I tried looking for some stickers and found this one at Redbubble.Link

To be honest it looks way better in real life because of all the glare and camera not picking the true colors. Aso, those bright spots from the leds are not that visible. The color is a nice blood red all way around and only in the middle layer. The only thing that could be improved is the light refraction to be a bit more homogeneous. Simple project but I loved the result. Thanks!

McGyver

Re: GameBoy Pi 3B+ display case!

Post by McGyver » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Beautifull results! I like if people use their knowlegte to perform what they like to do. This times it went really nice.

Somehow: please tell me how I can buy your designed product :-)

kaning

Re: GameBoy Pi 3B+ display case!

Post by kaning » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:45 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! :D
I wouldn't charge for such a thing. You can do those changes with simple tools.
If the electronics are your concern, just search for a "5v red led strip" on aliexpress or something, cut to size and it's done. They are quite cheap.

Edit: For some reason all my imgur pictures are gone. anyone knows why? [fixed]