Fury's Gameboy Pocket Pi [in progress]

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
NyteFury

Fury's Gameboy Pocket Pi [in progress]

Post by NyteFury » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:00 pm

So I've decided to basically combine Wermy's guide and http://goo.gl/CMa1Jp guide. I'm planning on putting a 3.5" BW screen in my Gameboy Pocket with the Pi Zero. I might end up putting the Pi in the cartridge, but I haven't decided yet. I know I'm going to need all the internal room I can get, so it might be that I hollow out the cartridge and just use it as a shell/door. We'll see how it goes when I finally get there.

Update 3:
It's been a while since I've posted. I've been toying with Retropie a lot and trying to figure out some good PCB options that don't include scratching traces. Right now I've got the Pi and the screen powered off the battery via the Powerboost and the Power Strip @Helder has up for sale on OSH park. I also wired in the original Pocket power switch directly to the Powerboost (since I haven't built the safe power down yet). Up next is updating the config files and connecting the PMW audio board since I've finished soldering all the components to the board. I should be able to get that done tonight. #MovingRightAlong
[spoiler="pictures"]I'm also planning on adding electrical tape to screen to black out the screen light spill.
Image[/spoiler]

Update 2:
Finished leveling out the screen. Glued the screen in place. Discovered that the board was too tall/thick to be able to close the case on one side. I brought out the Dremel again to shave off the bits I needed to get the board to fit.

[spoiler="pictures"]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Update 1:
I was able to get the 3.5" screen to fit in the Pocket. The screen doesn't currently sit perfectly flat with the front because the front face of the pocket is curved, and the horizon is off a bit. I obviously still need to file down and overall clean up the entire thing, but I wanted to post that it's possible.
[spoiler="pictures"]Image

Side view with the screen in. You can see that what was once the Contrast and Volume labels is now gone.
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by NyteFury on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Gameboy Pocket Zero [in progress]: http://imgur.com/a/L87uk

toiletpaper69

Re: Fury's Gameboy Pocket Pi [in progress]

Post by toiletpaper69 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:33 pm

It's good to see a 3.5 display fits. I may build one in the future.

NyteFury

Post by NyteFury » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:29 pm

I don't think the Adafruit 3.5" screen would work inside the Pocket. I ended up taking the entire display out of the housing to be able to make it possible to fit. Thankful I just had one of the BW screens that are very easy to pop out of the housing.

ABH

Post by ABH » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:03 pm

Good luck bro

NyteFury

Post by NyteFury » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Updated!

JohnnyFYVE

Post by JohnnyFYVE » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 am

Cool. I'm going to try this as well... I'm just waiting for all my parts now. Nice to see somebody else is trying it! Will be checking in with your progress... :D

JohnnyFYVE

Post by JohnnyFYVE » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:28 pm

[quote="NyteFury"]So I've decided to basically combine Wermy's guide and http://goo.gl/CMa1Jp guide. I'm planning on putting a 3.5" BW screen in my Gameboy Pocket with the Pi Zero. I might end up putting the Pi in the cartridge, but I haven't decided yet. I know I'm going to need all the internal room I can get, so it might be that I hollow out the cartridge and just use it as a shell/door. We'll see how it goes when I finally get there.

Update 3:
It's been a while since I've posted. I've been toying with Retropie a lot and trying to figure out some good PCB options that don't include scratching traces. Right now I've got the Pi and the screen powered off the battery via the Powerboost and the Power Strip @Helder has up for sale on OSH park. I also wired in the original Pocket power switch directly to the Powerboost (since I haven't built the safe power down yet). Up next is updating the config files and connecting the PMW audio board since I've finished soldering all the components to the board. I should be able to get that done tonight. #MovingRightAlong
[spoiler="pictures"]I'm also planning on adding electrical tape to screen to black out the screen light spill.
Image[/spoiler]

Me again,

I see you removed the screen from the metal enclosure in order for it to fit. Any tips on doing that before I try?

Thank you,

John D

NyteFury

Post by NyteFury » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:29 pm

I see you removed the screen from the metal enclosure in order for it to fit. Any tips on doing that before I try?
Technically mine wasn't fully enclosed, just partially. Post of picture of your monitor and I'll let you know if it looked like mine.

JohnnyFYVE

Post by JohnnyFYVE » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:57 pm

NyteFury wrote:

Technically mine wasn't fully enclosed, just partially. Post of picture of your monitor and I'll let you know if it looked like mine.
I grabbed one that wasn't enclosed in those Back Up Cam cases... here's a pic:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 13129 times

NyteFury

Post by NyteFury » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:30 pm

Sorry for the delay! I've been super busy with life this past week.

My monitor was a backup camera one and just had a simple plastic and then partially enclosed metal casing for the screen once it was popped out of the main enclosure. I've got another I can pop open and take some pictures.