My Gameboy Pi build!

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
smithincanton

My Gameboy Pi build!

Post by smithincanton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:45 am

So the great Mr. wermy's second tutorial video prompted me to start my build. I bought the case almost almost a YEAR ago and slowly collected parts from here and there. I can put together a list of the parts and where I got them if anyone is interested.

Here it is lay'ed out. The classic back up screen, and old AB only control board, raspberry pi 2, a little charge/boost converter I found on ebay.

Battery installed with some foam behind it, need to put some in front of it.

Need to make the controller cable a bit longer. I wired the controller board to the raspberry pi's GPIO skipping the need for a Teensy/Arduino.

Buttoned up and RetroPi booted.

I need to get and sacrifice a Gameboy cart to cover the Pi from sticking out the back a little. Hehe it kinda looks like a really tiny cart sticking out. :D

It really looks amazing in the dark with the back light spilling out of the screen!

Things still left to be done: Solder up the amp to the headphone jack and to the speaker. Figure out how to mount the posts again much like wermy's original video tutorial. Also need to get the buttons working better. They $&@#ing SUCK as is. :evil: My soldering work is fine, if I short ground and the pad it works fine.

Future plans. I already have a 640x480 display on order, along with a glass screen from forum user day. I might order one of the "all-in-one" boards with a usb hub/teensy/etc to make my life a little simpler second time around. Next one will have AB/XY and shoulder buttons. My ultimate build!!

That's about it! Let me know what you guys think! Comments/suggestions/questions are always appreciated!!

PolletjeNL

Re: My Gameboy Pi build!

Post by PolletjeNL » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:39 am

Well thats what I call a clean build, but no sound?? Anyway, thanks for showing us Sir :D .

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:02 am

Very nice for a first build.
Builder and tinkerer

smithincanton

Post by smithincanton » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:12 am

@PolletjeNL Thank you and it's next on my list of things to add!! I have the amp, jack, and speaker. I just need to solder everything up and install it. I just finished getting the controller ground plane wired up last night and the thing looked so awesome I wanted to show it off!

@Chedda Thank you! It's not quite my first time building a Pi based project. Click here to take a look at my "Micro Computer" build.