[WIP] Project RetroBoy; a custom CAD drawn Gameboy case

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Double0EK

Re: [WIP] Project RetroBoy; a custom CAD drawn Gameboy case

Post by Double0EK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 am

Wow! Looking good @iSP ! Depending on your timeframe your case might be the one I'll use for my second build. Haven't even completed my first one. :roll:

toiletpaper69

Post by toiletpaper69 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 am

I really like the back side design. It will make a very tidy good looking case.

iSP

Post by iSP » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

Warning!

Just got another cheap Chinese controller in and it seems there are other kind of buttons out there now.
You want them like on the right, not like as the ones on the left which is what I got this time.
Have had quite a few cheap controllers now here you know, I buy what you probably buy to see what fits and what not.
Well obviously these don't fit and I don't know if I want to make them fit as they're 11,75~12mm wide.

If you want to buy controllers do not buy from the seller "bagbagbig" @ ebay, there's a chance you get these.

I still need a set of lavender/purple buttons for taking pictures so if somebody knows a confirmed fit please let me know :P

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 pm

iSP wrote:Warning!

If you want to buy controllers do not buy from the seller "bagbagbig" @ ebay, there's a chance you get these.

I still need a set of lavender/purple buttons for taking pictures so if somebody knows a confirmed fit please let me know :P
Search for GB buttons, there are very cheap sellers, probably 2usd you'll buy 2buttons and the wheel button. I bought mine in aliexpress and they are great
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

jquintan

Post by jquintan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I've been working on a similar goal to @iSP, however the end goal is to mill the enclosure out exotic materials. The deviations I've taken from the original DMG case have favored a minimalist design. For those of you interested in getting a jump start on your own CAD project, here is a link http://a360.co/2kiXDHx.

At the moment there are a couple things I would like to remedy in the next version.
  • - Fix alignment of buttons to match @Helder AIO board
    - Rear buttons are ergonomic
    - Removal of the power switch, potentially wake with a button combination
    - Correct the dimensions of the USB and micro-USB slots
Gameboy v14.tiff
Gameboy v14.tiff (1.86 MiB) Viewed 10416 times

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 pm

My problem with the wermy style L+R buttons is that they are completely flat, so you need to push the button in (aka towards the case), which isn't so easy when your fingers are angled just by virtue of where the buttons are located. This is a problem for a few games where you need to press them fluidly. If they were angled upwards such that you need to apply pressure in a down and in fashion instead of just inwards it would take less effort and be much more ergonomic i think. I'm going to try and do this on my next case, but just an idea for the 3D printer boys. :)

meldaryste

Post by meldaryste » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Ganreizu wrote:My problem with the wermy style L+R buttons is that they are completely flat, so you need to push the button in (aka towards the case), which isn't so easy when your fingers are angled just by virtue of where the buttons are located. This is a problem for a few games where you need to press them fluidly. If they were angled upwards such that you need to apply pressure in a down and in fashion instead of just inwards it would take less effort and be much more ergonomic i think. I'm going to try and do this on my next case, but just an idea for the 3D printer boys. :)

Not to step on anyone's toes because everyone is doing a great job with the modelling, but here was a post:
http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=20
It hasn't really gotten any activity in a few months, but it was looking real good. I downloaded the files myself, did very little changes and handed those files to my buddy to print them out for me. I am still waiting for them (only been little shy of 2 weeks) but I can't complain seeing how is is going to print that first set for free for me, haha. But they were looking good, I'm surprised no one else printed them and at least tried them to post pictures of.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:18 pm

meldaryste wrote:
Ganreizu wrote:My problem with the wermy style L+R buttons is that they are completely flat, so you need to push the button in (aka towards the case), which isn't so easy when your fingers are angled just by virtue of where the buttons are located. This is a problem for a few games where you need to press them fluidly. If they were angled upwards such that you need to apply pressure in a down and in fashion instead of just inwards it would take less effort and be much more ergonomic i think. I'm going to try and do this on my next case, but just an idea for the 3D printer boys. :)

Not to step on anyone's toes because everyone is doing a great job with the modelling, but here was a post:
It hasn't really gotten any activity in a few months, but it was looking real good. I downloaded the files myself, did very little changes and handed those files to my buddy to print them out for me. I am still waiting for them (only been little shy of 2 weeks) but I can't complain seeing how is is going to print that first set for free for me, haha. But they were looking good, I'm surprised no one else printed them and at least tried them to post pictures of.
The way these were designed it's going to be tough to get a clean 3D print. Those tabs are all overhangs which need support and there isn't a good orientation that it would print well. It would need some tweaking to make it more 3D printer friendly. It's a nice concept but it certainly changes the design of the GB drastically. Not sure personally I would like it for my build but maybe others will. :)

meldaryste

Post by meldaryste » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:44 pm

I agree. I wanted them printed to check the feel, but I definitely don't want them on mine. I am putting mine together now, and I have tact switches and extra button wells, was thinking of putting regular front face buttons on the back instead. But I did want to try those out, maybe for a second one, and a friend of mine wants me to build him a gbz as well, maybe on his, haha.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:30 pm

meldaryste wrote:Not to step on anyone's toes because everyone is doing a great job with the modelling, but here was a post:
Yes. I saw that when it was posted. Not really the solution i'm looking for though unfortunately.