My GBZ Build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
kapakai
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm
Been thanked: 20 times

My GBZ Build

Post by kapakai » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:57 pm

It's about 90% functional and 80% finished.

Goal of the build is minimal case modifications and repairability. So no glue gun. Screws will be used for everything.

BW 3.5" composite screen
Generic button pcb
Teensy LC
Banggood PSU
Sabrent USB Audio
Gear Head USB 2.0 hub
Adafruit mono amp
Adafruit speaker
2500mah battery
and 3d printed parts for mounts

Things to do:
-wire shoulder/trigger buttons.
-sand and paint battery cover
-fine tune audio
-add a glass screen


Pics:
Image
Image

Custom rear buttons:
Image
Image
Image

Splash screen:
Image

Lpoolm
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 am
Location: uk
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by Lpoolm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:14 am

I like it!
What software do you use on your splash screen?
Been looking at trying to do my own.
football predictions using updated sensible soccer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOTIa0 ... oDHX_mND8g

Valadone
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by Valadone » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:44 am

Hi, awesome job on your gameboy and on your splash screen ;D

Where did you find the 3D file to print the blue part which maintain your screen ? I don't want to put a lot of hot glue in my gameboy and it's a perfect thing !

User avatar
Brag0n
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:20 am
Location: Scandinavia
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by Brag0n » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:06 pm

How did you cut your case for opening around screen?
It's really nicely done!

kapakai
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by kapakai » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 am

Lpoolm wrote:I like it!
What software do you use on your splash screen?
Been looking at trying to do my own.
After Effects.
Valadone wrote:Hi, awesome job on your gameboy and on your splash screen ;D

Where did you find the 3D file to print the blue part which maintain your screen ? I don't want to put a lot of hot glue in my gameboy and it's a perfect thing !
I designed it myself. It is very specific to the button PCB layout. What do you have? I can make adjustments to fit your build.
Brag0n wrote:How did you cut your case for opening around screen?
It's really nicely done!
I cut a smaller opening with a dremel first and sanded it down by hand.

User avatar
abrugsch
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 430 times
Contact:

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by abrugsch » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 am

I like the idea of the battery box grip/buttons. I might have to do something similar...

kapakai
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:26 pm
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by kapakai » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 am

abrugsch wrote:I like the idea of the battery box grip/buttons. I might have to do something similar...
Honestly, it's the most comfortable layout yet.

I have more designs in the works as well. One that would accommodate a battery pack.


dadi4168
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by dadi4168 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Very nice. Love the back button layout.

Valadone
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: My GBZ Build

Post by Valadone » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 am

kapakai wrote:
Valadone wrote:Hi, awesome job on your gameboy and on your splash screen ;D

Where did you find the 3D file to print the blue part which maintain your screen ? I don't want to put a lot of hot glue in my gameboy and it's a perfect thing !
I designed it myself. It is very specific to the button PCB layout. What do you have? I can make adjustments to fit your build.
I have the exact same screen as you. I can test with your STL file and modify it if i need it.

Thanks ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest