D56: Gameboy Pi3

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
DirtyBullets

Re: D56: Gameboy Pi3

Post by DirtyBullets » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 am

SidSilver wrote:Where have you found your batteries ?
I got them from B&M Stores (UK) also can be found on eBay
wermy wrote:Dang, nice! I know a lot of people are interested in doing a Pi3 build -- have you run into any heat issues yet? Seems like my overheating indicator comes on all the time on my Pi 3's when under heavy load. :\
This was worrying me when i found out about the heating issue but lucky i know a lot about overclocking (used to beat records), I ran a few hours of testing using RetroPi and yes it did get a little warm and yes that annoying little square does popup on the screen(just means the supply amps was too low (was using a 2A instead of 2.5A with attachments on it)) but the temps are very low and nothing to worry about (without heat sinks) but i have raised some concerns in closed cases so i had ordered a tiny fan that runs at 5v but the rating was 0.2W so thats 100mAh, also a little tall too, (Fan from eBay) so im still looking for a thinner fan like the one on my fatshark V2 dominator FPV googles, was thinking of adding some vents on the side of the case where you grip your hand onto...donno yet tho...

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon May 23, 2016 10:06 am

DirtyBullets wrote: This was worrying me when i found out about the heating issue but lucky i know a lot about overclocking (used to beat records), I ran a few hours of testing using RetroPi and yes it did get a little warm and yes that annoying little square does popup on the screen(just means the supply amps was too low (was using a 2A instead of 2.5A with attachments on it)) but the temps are very low and nothing to worry about (without heat sinks) but i have raised some concerns in closed cases so i had ordered a tiny fan that runs at 5v but the rating was 0.2W so thats 100mAh, also a little tall too, (Fan from eBay) so im still looking for a thinner fan like the one on my fatshark V2 dominator FPV googles, was thinking of adding some vents on the side of the case where you grip your hand onto...donno yet tho...
Cool (or warm, I guess). :)

Which square is showing up on your screen? There are actually two: the rainbow one, which indicates the power supply not keeping up, as you mentioned, and a orange/yellowish one, which indicates the temperature is too high, and it is underclocking the CPU to compensate (it goes back to regular clock speeds when the temp gets low enough again).
ImageImageImageImage

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 am

Will test it out again when i get it built since its half in bits :lol: but i do have a few ideas how to cool it if its an issue,

Always a sucker for modding anything i touch so in goes some cool lights....cut slot for some LED's (5mm cos 3's was too dull) epoxy it in

Grind away the excess

test fit the clear buttons

tested on a button cell, Now trying to workout the Dpad's best angles for best results...to be continued :geek:

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Mon May 23, 2016 10:48 am

The LED buttons are a fun feature. How are you planning on controlling them and will it be interactive?

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 am

Kilren wrote:The LED buttons are a fun feature. How are you planning on controlling them and will it be interactive?
na they are just slow changing RGB led's and will add it to a switch inside so you can turn on or off to save power... :geek:

advoloastra

Post by advoloastra » Wed May 25, 2016 12:10 pm

I built one with a RPI3, a USB dac, audio amplifier and Teensy LC. Plus I am powering it with the PowerBoost 1000c and only occasionally get the low power block warning (primarily when I connect a USB keyboard). Temperature averages around 58 degrees C (using heatsinks and have a couple of vent holes). It does go through the battery in about 1.5 hours. I have shut off the WiFi and Bluetooth but it didn't make much of a difference.

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Tue May 31, 2016 4:53 pm

I did some testing and when running low amps it tends to get a bit warmer but oddly when running from a 2.1A output power bank the temps are lower. hence why i went for the power bank idea, but this dont leave much room and currently just fitted the HDMI output to a port (hope it works lol)

Images coming soon but no much updated tho...

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Installed a premade PCB

Chopped the teensy LC board down....Then realised i chopped to far and cut the tracers for power....oops :oops:

The short HDMI extention cable arrived and removed the casing to make things smaller (tried to remove as much glue as i could)

(sneeky peek of the XY drilling not clean and had a little slip with the dremal but dont look to bad....at an angle... :roll: ) also added a spacer to make the height same as the other buttons using an old dvd case. (found an off cut on the floor)

Installed the HDMI extention cable (i know its not clean)

Port looks nice :mrgreen:

installed an slow RGB LED for to the power switch to match the buttons

DirtyBullets

Post by DirtyBullets » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:44 pm

First power bank board blew (don't know how just no power or leds showing up)

tried to clean up the clear cover...dam superglue

Had to move the usb charger port to the bottom because there was no room when the HDMI cable was installed...joy (and not clean too)

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Great to see you fitted the HDMI extension cable. Build coming along great