Cannikin's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Cannikin

Re: Cannikin's GBZ

Post by Cannikin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:19 pm

marcushg wrote:Cannikin, as i have the same screen as you, could you insert another picture of your build from the inside? i wonder how you did to not screw the flat cable up...
I assume you desoldered the white sockets of the screen pcb?
how did you do that thing with the glass?s
Here's a shot of the inside...it's pretty messy, but the cables fold themselves down just fine:

Yep, I removed the white sockets to get the control board as thin as possible.

For the glass I made myself a little jig that holds the tip of my Xacto knife about 3/16" away from the edge, then scribed around the edge. That made a nice sharp line in the paint. Then from the backside I used a razor blade to scrape away all of the paint up to that line. It's not perfectly sharp as the glue on the back was a pain to remove cleanly. Someone said that the guy that makes these glass screens is maybe going to make one that looks just like the one I made. That would make things MUCH EASIER.

Tjfreund

Post by Tjfreund » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:27 am

I emailed Nintendo Repair Hut to find out if they might be making the custom GBZ screen protectors (with the 3/16" grey border).

The answer I received was "I would be more than happy to have them made; however my manufacturer will not be able to make on a picture alone. I need an actual sample for them to duplicate and I have been unable to locate one".

Does anyone have a sample that they can supply.

jeffy1021

Post by jeffy1021 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 pm

What kind of battery life are you getting? I wonder if the VGA screen uses more power than the adafruit or the other 320p alternatives.

Cannikin

Post by Cannikin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:37 am

jeffy1021 wrote:What kind of battery life are you getting? I wonder if the VGA screen uses more power than the adafruit or the other 320p alternatives.
I think it was earlier in this thread I had posted a battery test...it was a little over 2 hours-ish?

Hex

Post by Hex » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:36 pm

@Cannikin Could you post some more build images and how ES looks. I wanted to see how much of the screen is visible from outside.
Sent from 20,000 leagues under the sea

My Cardboard GBZ build : http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2851

EmulationStation optimization for Pi Zero : http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2922