Paolobabe99 GBPi Zero

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
paolobabe99

Paolobabe99 GBPi Zero

Post by paolobabe99 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:00 pm

I finally got my Gameboy

I also got my tft screen and it came like this :(

Hopefully I'll get start this weekend
Last edited by paolobabe99 on Sun May 29, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilren

Re: Paolobabe99 GBPi Zero

Post by Kilren » Sat May 28, 2016 10:32 pm

That is some shoddy soldering on that driver board. As long as it works though, that is fixable. With your post, include the direct link to the picture and not the general link. The URL should end in .jpg

For example, your second picture would look like this (img]https://i.imgur.com/NRWsyPX.jpg[/img]
An even better approach would be to put them in spoiler brackets so it looks really clean. The syntax for that is (spoiler="text"](img]https://i.imgur.com/NRWsyPX.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

[spoiler="Display Board"]Image[/spoiler]

paolobabe99

Post by paolobabe99 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:05 am

Thank you for that kilren. Yeah I need to use a heat gun to detach the board from the tft screen and straighten it.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun May 29, 2016 7:10 am

Wait, it came like that out of the box?? I was going to offer some soldering suggestions but it sounds like you are saying it came that way. :o
ImageImageImageImage

paolobabe99

Post by paolobabe99 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:37 am

wermy wrote:Wait, it came like that out of the box?? I was going to offer some soldering suggestions but it sounds like you are saying it came that way. :o
Not the cables being solder like that. I just quickly solder on to test the screen. But the board did come like that. The screen was hard to take the screws out to take it apart but I didn't even have to use a heat gun to detach the screen from the screen protector. It just fell out which I thought it was bad.

Then I notice the cable connect from the screen to the board was bent. So I quickly solder the cables on to test since I probably can't get a refund. And it actually works, it flickers a little bit if you aren't careful.

Yes I know it's messy wermy any tips on soldering would be great. :D

Sorry for the run-on sentences

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun May 29, 2016 8:19 am

paolobabe99 wrote: Not the cables being solder like that. I just quickly solder on to test the screen. But the board did come like that. The screen was hard to take the screws out to take it apart but I didn't even have to use a heat gun to detach the screen from the screen protector. It just fell out which I thought it was bad.

Then I notice the cable connect from the screen to the board was bent. So I quickly solder the cables on to test since I probably can't get a refund. And it actually works, it flickers a little bit if you aren't careful.

Yes I know it's messy wermy any tips on soldering would be great. :D

Sorry for the run-on sentences
Oh! Ok, sorry I misunderstood. :)

If you prep the wires before soldering them down it can help a lot: just twist the ends nice and tight (it looks like you did with a couple of them) and then tin them by heating up the tip of the wire and letting some solder melt onto it. Makes it a lot easier to get them to melt nicely down into the blob of solder on the board.

Also keep the exposed bits of wire as short as possible so they can't touch each other or any other components.

Good luck!

P.S that's clever what you did with sticking your screws in a piece of foam - I might have to start doing that!
ImageImageImageImage

paolobabe99

Post by paolobabe99 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:18 am

Yeah I started doing that since I always find extra screws after I put something back together. I'll keep posting updates and thank you for the tip.

paolobabe99

Re: Paolobabe99 GBPi Zero update

Post by paolobabe99 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:45 am

Baby on the way haven't worked on it in weeks. Will continue to work on after the baby gets here :D

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:28 pm

paolobabe99 wrote:Baby on the way haven't worked on it in weeks. Will continue to work on after the baby gets here :D
Definitely understand that! We have our first coming in October. Stoked. When are you guys due? Know the gender yet? Good luck, and hope you have a happy healthy baby, and a happy healthy mother!

paolobabe99

Post by paolobabe99 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 am

Kilren wrote:
paolobabe99 wrote:Baby on the way haven't worked on it in weeks. Will continue to work on after the baby gets here :D
Definitely understand that! We have our first coming in October. Stoked. When are you guys due? Know the gender yet? Good luck, and hope you have a happy healthy baby, and a happy healthy mother!
This will be our 3rd baby, it's going to be a girl. My wife is due late October early November. Thank you for kind words. I know people have told you "enjoy your rest blah blah blah..." it won't matter man, just spend as much time you can with your wife and baby.

Just remember, when the baby is a little bit older. when you come home and you hear " DADDY IS HOME!!!!!" you will feel like a rock star. It's priceless. Good luck with everything.

P.S. I don't know if you have everything for the baby but I would recommend buying one of these. It's a bathtub.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... 80336:TRUS

It's the best thing we have gotten my kids are 3 & 5 and they're still using it as a step stool.