Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
zero4281

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by zero4281 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:55 am

BrendanSmall wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:27 pm
Necro post for my first post...two for one!
Has anyone actually used the CAD model to build a GBZ? I had to alter the screen cutout in Fusion because it definitely wasn't the right size for the typical 3.5 BW screen. I'm on my third prototype, but I think I got it right this time. If I've missed something in the 23 pages, I will accept the noob embarrassment as my punishment.
If you finish updating it could you post the files?

BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Sure, I actually nailed it on the last try. The screen bezel is a perfect fit for the original Gameboy DMG screen 'cover', and gives access to as much of the screen as possible. I did not modify the rear case, so it's the same as the original design.

I believe this is the correct one. I had a few variations stored in the same folder, but this is the last one I printed.
Attachments
front_shell.stl
(3.7 MiB) Downloaded 376 times

neolith

Post by neolith » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:08 pm

BrendanSmall wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:27 pm
Necro post for my first post...two for one!
Has anyone actually used the CAD model to build a GBZ? I had to alter the screen cutout in Fusion because it definitely wasn't the right size for the typical 3.5 BW screen. I'm on my third prototype, but I think I got it right this time. If I've missed something in the 23 pages, I will accept the noob embarrassment as my punishment.
Sorry for replying so late, I was with my family over christmas.
My model was made with measurements from an original DMG case, so everything should fit the original parts pretty closely. Unless I really srewed up somewhere of course. :lol:

I'll take a look at your model and compare it to mine as soon as I find the time.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Cool! I'm definitely not trying to mess with anyone's work, promise. I just modded the file you designed to make it fit the usual 3.5 LCD everyone uses. I only had to alter the screen cutout, everything else is perfect :). I'll take the file down if you want.

neolith

Post by neolith » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:25 am

I finally found the time to compare your model to mine and I've got to say I am quite surprised to see yours differ from mine so much. I've seen several people build a GBZ directly from my files and only making tiny adjustments due to shrinking material when printing. So far I haven't had any complaints about the cutout. Then again I am not sure what kind of screen you are using. As I wrote earlier, the model stays close to the original DMG shell – so any adjustments you would have to make there you'd also have to do here as well.
Either way, I am glad you managed to get things worling for you. :)
BrendanSmall wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:33 pm
Cool! I'm definitely not trying to mess with anyone's work, promise. I just modded the file you designed to make it fit the usual 3.5 LCD everyone uses. I only had to alter the screen cutout, everything else is perfect :). I'll take the file down if you want.
Nah, don't worry about that. If it helped you, it might be of help to someone else, too. After all, I built the model so people could use it to build GBZs and tinker with it.
If you credit this as the original file an dlink back to this thread when you post your version somewhere I am more than happy. ;)
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

BrendanSmall

Post by BrendanSmall » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:12 pm

The GBZ I am building with it is using a 3.5" screen, and isn't based on the Kite Circuit Sword boards. Not sure if they use a different screen or not, but the opening was just a shave too small for the aliexpress 3.5" LCD with the OG Wermy-style GBZ I am building. I have tested the modification I made with the aftermarket glass screen protectors, and an original DMG screen protector, and it's a perfect fit.

I even used an OG DMG rear case with it, and it fits right up :). The design is spot on, thanks again for the design! :)

mturner87

Post by mturner87 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:35 am

So neolith, would you be able to do a model with cut outs and mounting for Nintendo switch joy sticks? or the standard PSP ones that a lot of people use? maybe like three options one in the bottom left corner one in the center and one with both?

Oh and BTW I have been looking all over the internet for 3d print files for Circuit Sword so this is amazing! On my first build now.

neolith

Post by neolith » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm

mturner87 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:35 am
So neolith, would you be able to do a model with cut outs and mounting for Nintendo switch joy sticks? or the standard PSP ones that a lot of people use? maybe like three options one in the bottom left corner one in the center and one with both?

Oh and BTW I have been looking all over the internet for 3d print files for Circuit Sword so this is amazing! On my first build now.
Unfortunately no, at least not now. :( I am currently very short on time and I don't even own the sticks – so I couldn't make sure everything is scaled correctly. Sorry.

However the .f3d files have the whole edit history baked into them so that you can easily edit the model yourself. Autodesk Fusion 360 is free for personal use and not that hard to learn.