Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
reipet

Re: Game Boy Zero case CAD files

Post by reipet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:29 am

Here some updates:

1. Screen Bracket
I modeled a frame onto the front shell where the screen fits in.
Afterwards the screen is fixed with a bracket the is screwed onto the frame below. You can see the screw heads shown as white circles.
No Interference with the SAIO Board. If this solution is strong enough has not been tested yet.
Open for comments

2. Rear shell has a mount added for the Cartridge reader. Also supports for the X,Y Button. Original Button and screw domes have been
modified as there was an interference with the SAIO Board and front shell.

3. Working on a Solution to mount the mode switch and On/Off switch with Screws.
No solution for the rear buttons yet but some ideas.
Thinking about integrating a pogo pin bracket for the battery compartment or a slot where the connector for the battery from Dextech
could be connected with an extension cable. So its easy to disconnect/remove the battery.

4. Planning to model also the Logos/Inscriptions into the model so they are printed as well. Its been a while I have been using CAD for this
so I need to read firstly again how to do it. Maybe somebody has something here, like the Nintendo or Gameboy Logo?
Attachments
Back.JPG
Back.JPG (151.43 KiB) Viewed 8094 times
all.JPG
all.JPG (119.02 KiB) Viewed 8094 times
Screen2.JPG
Screen2.JPG (91.8 KiB) Viewed 8094 times
Screen1.JPG
Screen1.JPG (78.35 KiB) Viewed 8094 times

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am

Beautiful work! Out of curiousity though, wouldn't you still have to glue in the bottom bracket for the screen ?
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

reipet

Post by reipet » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 am

No, that frame is integrated into the Front Shell and will be printed as one part.

I had a look into your shoulder button integration which is really neatly done. But due to the Cartridge reader there will be not enough space to go with your solution in this case.

erik_gee

Post by erik_gee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:02 pm

reipet wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 am
No, that frame is integrated into the Front Shell and will be printed as one part.

I had a look into your shoulder button integration which is really neatly done. But due to the Cartridge reader there will be not enough space to go with your solution in this case.
Ah that makes sense. Looks really good!

And thank you! Yeah unfortunately my bracket uses the same space. I'm trying to experience with different cart readers to see if one is thin enough to remodel my bracket around. So far I've only got a gba reader it was too thick. I think a DS cart reader is smaller? But I don't have access to one.

I have however made a secondary bracket that fits inside the cart reader and utilizes a SD card extension cable to make up for the lack of cart reader ;)
GBC AIO kit Sales Thread:https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9928

Bunch of different shoulder button kits Sales Thread:viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6233&p=63192#p63192

AIO board for DMG Sales Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6431

6 Button Common Ground Board Sales Thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4811

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 pm

ICMF wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:10 am
Nylon can be dyed. https://makezine.com/2013/05/09/how-to- ... 3d-prints/
That's interesting. I don't quite understand that website though – are all the pics of the tesla coil intentional or did something get mixed up? :?

@reipet:
Thanks for sharing, that looks good!
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

reipet

Post by reipet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:03 am

Anybody knows the Nintendo and Gameboy font or can provide the writing on the shell so I can integrate it into the print?

THX!

neolith

Post by neolith » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 am

reipet wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:03 am
Anybody knows the Nintendo and Gameboy font or can provide the writing on the shell so I can integrate it into the print?

THX!
I haven't looked it up, but the GAME BOY font might be Gill Sans in italic.
The DOT MATRIX WITH STEREO SOUND on the glass is probably a standard Futura. Same for ON/OFF and PHONES, these might be a thinner style though.
The Nintendo logo is custom made for Nintendo IIRC. There seem to be clones though, for example Nintender or Pretendo. All letters not used in 'Nintendo' and the spacing are questionable though, you might have to put a bit of work into correcting the letters' positioning.
SELECT, START, A & B again are custom made in a font sometimes called Nintendo console font. A remake can be found here.

edit: All of the above is for the classic Game Boy DMG – I didn't check other models.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

reipet

Post by reipet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:49 pm

THx for the fonts.
Here is how it looks like now:
Attachments
Text.JPG
Text.JPG (133.71 KiB) Viewed 7847 times

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:11 am

Nice! I am eager to see how your print turns out!

reipet

Post by reipet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:47 am

Guys,

Question: Which rear button you would like more, the gray flat or the brown round shaped one?
The position is the only one left that ensures enough space for the stuff needed internally. But I think the position is also not to bad for playing.

The buttons are designed not to be microswitches but contact buttons from an Aftermarket NES Controller. See pic.
The red part is the SAIO Back Board. There you can also see I modelled the Volume Letters. Lets see how they come out from the print.
The green part is the contact board from the NES Controller.

Another question: If I install the metal plate back again will it affect the wifi Signal from the Pie Zero W?

Greets!
Attachments
button3.JPG
button3.JPG (122.43 KiB) Viewed 8088 times
button2.JPG
button2.JPG (309.92 KiB) Viewed 8088 times
button1.JPG
button1.JPG (157.3 KiB) Viewed 8088 times