Nobble's RetroPie Futureboy DMG RPi3 Handheld (ENTRY 4 HACK LIKE HECK)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
nobble

Nobble's RetroPie Futureboy DMG RPi3 Handheld (ENTRY 4 HACK LIKE HECK)

Post by nobble » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Alright folks, Ben Heck doesn't give a hack anymore. Now is the time for us in the modding community to RISE UP by blowing the minds of unknowingly innocent normies with our next level mods.

NOBBLE HAS STEPPED UP TO THE CHALLENGE!

My entry build is Officially Titled: Nobble's RetroPie Futureboy
It is a portable emulation handheld resembling the well-known Gameboy with features NEVER BEFORE SEEN BY MANKIND! Based on the Raspberry Pi 3 and running a custom version of RetroPie from tweaks I made.

Concept Sketch
SpoilerShow
Case
SpoilerShow
The handheld case is a custom mold for a Nintendo Gameboy DMG made by Kitschbent. I will be modifying the insides to make it more roomy for the components.
Main board
SpoilerShow
I am using an almost fully stock Raspberry Pi 3 that will have a hat screen attached on top. The only modifications I will do is removing one set of USB ports for hard wiring components.
Screen(s)
SpoilerShow
I am using a 3.5" HDMI touchscreen "hat" for main display. GPIO will control the touchscreen panel. ON TOP OF THAT I am adding in a pico projector you can switch to, that will illuminate gameplay onto any surface of your choosing. That will be housed inside a Shark MX cartridge made by GameShark. It was a modem cartridge for internet access and email on the gameboy. Service was called GB-Mail. I'm sure it was indeed terrible.. CUE THE MEMES.
Controls
SpoilerShow
I will be using an Arduino Pro Micro that will be setup as a USB gamepad with a layout seen commonly on most controllers these days. Dual Analog thumbsticks and dual triggers along with the usual d-pad and ABXY, Start, Select. Will be using @sotasystems Arduino program. I need a few 3D printed parts to install the button wells and button supports with ease. *Thanks Spencer!
Audio
SpoilerShow
The goal is to have a working stereo audio Amp connected to the Pi so that when I insert headphones into the jack, the audio cuts out and goes to headphone line. I may end up going with mono, time will tell.
Batteries/Power
SpoilerShow
I am using a 3.7v 7000mah Li-Po cell that will be connected to a portable battery bank BCM PCB to regulate power at 5v 2.1A to power everything. Charge port will be Micro USB and I expect battery life to be around 3-6 hours.
Other Modifications & Features
SpoilerShow
I will be adding Programmable RGB LEDs all over inside the case so you can hail a UFO from space. What is a Futureboy without some new age colorful tech? I will be either programming them from the Pi itself, or arduino. I also have a silicone cover to finish off the build aesthetically. It slides snugly right over the case for added protection.
Splashscreen
SpoilerShow
STL Files Check out the official Contest blog for more info besides this work log!

I will post updates as I progress!
Last edited by nobble on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

abrugsch

Re: Nobble's RetroPie Futureboy DMG RPi3 Handheld (ENTRY 4 HACK LIKE HECK)

Post by abrugsch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:51 am

AWESOME!
There's been a contingent of us badgering wermy to apply on discord but he's having none of it.

One thing i will say is they are probably looking for a more scratch built case, but your level of modding looks like it should bust through that.
But most importantly GOOD LUCK! 🤞

nobble

Post by nobble » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:58 am

Quick Update. I have printed 3DS caps for PSP joysticks from markolomew's STL thread.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
One is printed in transparent filament, the other is a UV Green. :mrgreen:

nobble

Post by nobble » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Okay, the contest is coming to an end and I have been HACKING LIKE HECK to finish this up! I am in the home stretch, and though this work log is lacking frequent updates, you can follow me on Instagram

Also check out my GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER with tons of pics and video clips from this build!

Just look at how awesome Matt Kitschbent's custom clear DMG case looks with neopixels inside illuminating it! :shock:

I am almost done getting everything wired up and securely fit inside the case. I had a little snafu with Amazon, but after many hours with customer service I am finally getting the last parts I ordered 2-day shipping and still aren't in hand. I have wasted a few days with this and have been editing my video in the meantime.
*Note to all: NEVER TRUST AMAZON WITH CC INFO. (In short, they charged me $49 instead of $9 and it overdrafted that account and made my phone's autopay bill not go through, then they stopped the delivery because of the payment issue on their part. OH BOY.)

But I did order a new soldering iron since I seemed to have ruined all of my tips during this hasty build! TS100 soon to be mine!

The final video is due April 2nd. I have much faith in this entry and feel it a top 10 prize winning project for sure! The video will testify.. #hack2thefuture #futureboy

I hope I can get the support from this forum and the community of all makers, modders, hackers, DIY-enthuseists alike to help vote for my entry upon time. I have had so much help and support so far from the community, and my official sponsor Kitschbent LLC. it would really be awesome if this project gets a COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT when the video is released. ;)

Anyways, thanks for checking out my build entry! I hope you enjoy what is to come of THE FUTURE (BOY)!!!

TheHappiestBug

Post by TheHappiestBug » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:19 am

Looks Awesome, I hope you win!!

nobble

Post by nobble » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Here's a nice front shot of the boy all glowy and sticker'd up! Voting starts in a couple days! I'll post the video when it is live! :)

nobble

Post by nobble » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:25 pm

The Element14 Maker Film Fest is LIVE! (ends April 11th!)

You can help by voting on E14! All you have to do is register and Like the page.

Also every Share from the site counts as an extra vote!

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... ant-widget

Let me know what you all think of the video!
I learned a lot and also encountered so many issues not shown within the build.

Thanks for the support and help from everyone from Discord while I was building this!
I used so much info from the SudoMod forums to make this happen!

Special thanks to Wermy for sparking my creativity for this build with this website!
Spencer Richardson for printing the 3D parts!
And Matt @ KitchBent LLC for being my official sponsor! :)

markolomew

Post by markolomew » Mon May 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Clear Joystick covers came out great! The projector was a pretty sweet touch as well. Great job!
Check out my builds: Click Here
Free .STL files for 3DS/PSP joystick cap mashup: Click Here
Check out my store, 8bitmark.com: Click Here