My New PCB Prototypes

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Dividion

Re: My New PCB Prototypes

Post by Dividion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 pm

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Hi,

I'm having some touble getting the screen to work, its just black, no backlight or anything. I already posted in this other thread viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8279&p=76861#p76861 but this may be the better place to get support with your board.

Thanks,
I think infinitLoop's response in that thread was spot on. If the board is getting power, you should at least get the backlight, making the screen white. Can you check for continuity between the 3v3 pad and the far side of the resistor (near the connector)? It should read as 10ohms of resistance. You can also check for continuity between the 8 GPIO pads on the Pi and the pads on the adapter.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 pm

So I managed to get the screen to come on and show the white backlight. I haven’t managed to get an image on it though.

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Did you set up your SD card image to use fbcp or fbcp-ili9341? It'll stay a white screen until that's configured. It's usually easiest to do that while you still have access to the HDMI port, or if you have another Pi Zero you can set it up on that first. (or, you could even use the composite TV connector, but HDMI's easier)
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks, I tried setting up both of these fbcp and fbcp-ili9341 but still just a white screen. What am I missing? Is there a specific version of retropie this is compatible with or something?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:46 am

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:06 am
Thanks, I tried setting up both of these fbcp and fbcp-ili9341 but still just a white screen. What am I missing? Is there a specific version of retropie this is compatible with or something?
there is no specific version required. i have gotten those working in 4.3, 4.4, and 4.5. i've found that 4.3 seems to be a little more forgiving with some things though.

make sure you aren't running both of those at the same time. i'm pretty sure that would cause issues.

Do you get an image on hdmi? (the output to the spi should mirror hdmi)

it sounds like you just aren't getting a good connection at the flat cable. if it gets power, you will get the white screen, but it could be that it's data pins aren't getting a solid connection in there.

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks, I've tried all sorts with this screen and I can't get it to work. The image is showing fine on hdmi.

I think I may have damaged a pin on the ribbon cable. Is it possible to wire this screen directly (i.e not using the ribbon cable clip)?

I also have a spare gearbest screen maybe I can use this instead?

Thanks again for your help so far. I'd hoped to have this completed by now but time has been an issue as of late.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:49 am

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:17 am
Thanks, I've tried all sorts with this screen and I can't get it to work. The image is showing fine on hdmi.

I think I may have damaged a pin on the ribbon cable. Is it possible to wire this screen directly (i.e not using the ribbon cable clip)?

I also have a spare gearbest screen maybe I can use this instead?

Thanks again for your help so far. I'd hoped to have this completed by now but time has been an issue as of late.
Sure. What I have done before is de-solder the clip, and then solder the cable directly to the board using some flux and solder paste, and that works great, but can make it harder to work the board into that spot in the case/bracket. I think the paste is easier for that than just using a spool of solder, but that’d work too

The gearbest one is definitely easier to get going tho

FirstTimeGBZ

Post by FirstTimeGBZ » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks. Any guides on how to wire the gearbest screen?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:05 am

FirstTimeGBZ wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 am
Thanks. Any guides on how to wire the gearbest screen?
tinkerboy's wiring guide: https://www.tinkerboy.xyz/wiring-guide- ... th-5v-mod/

if you're using any of the assist boards, just hook up the video to the "comp" pad (make sure you've flowed solder in that hole too) and the 5v and ground somewhere, and that's pretty much it.

cdndavid

Post by cdndavid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Hello Mr till
I'd like to use your Power assist pro (and a bunch of other of your boards) on my pi 3+ build. Does the power board put out enough amps?