My New PCB Prototypes

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Dividion

Re: My New PCB Prototypes

Post by Dividion » Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 am

If you want to make some pinholes in the top (so you can see the LEDs) there's a top LED drill guide also. It's not necessary if you're using a clear case. Which shoulder buttons are you using?

In the last couple of builds I used the following:
screen bracket
button hole drill guide
shoulder button bracket (only used as a drill guide for positioning the holes for 12mm buttons - if you're using the normal front buttons/contact pads as your shoulder buttons then you'll want to keep it)
top led drill hole guide
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 am

Dividion wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:46 am
If you want to make some pinholes in the top (so you can see the LEDs) there's a top LED drill guide also. It's not necessary if you're using a clear case. Which shoulder buttons are you using?

In the last couple of builds I used the following:
screen bracket
button hole drill guide
shoulder button bracket (only used as a drill guide for positioning the holes for 12mm buttons - if you're using the normal front buttons/contact pads as your shoulder buttons then you'll want to keep it)
top led drill hole guide
Thanks. I'll be using the same buttons as ABXY for the rear buttons.

Now, time to find someone to 3D print these bad boys for me....
Image Image

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 am

Oh, hey.. one other question regarding the charging plug.

I'm guessing it's a 3.5mm barrel plug like the original DMG had. I've read that the original DMG charger had the polarity reversed compared to most other chargers. Is that the case with this, or can I just use any old 3.5mm charger -- maybe something like this?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh, also... does the charging circuit in the Ultra allow you to charge at the same time as playing?
Image Image

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed May 01, 2019 8:41 am

RxBrad wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 am

I'm guessing it's a 3.5mm barrel plug like the original DMG had. I've read that the original DMG charger had the polarity reversed compared to most other chargers. Is that the case with this, or can I just use any old 3.5mm charger -- maybe something like this?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Oh, also... does the charging circuit in the Ultra allow you to charge at the same time as playing?
the plug is not reversed. it just uses those standard adapters, with a positive tip.

you can charge while playing (but the input does not give it enough power without a battery, so you can't just play on plug-power).

Dividion

Post by Dividion » Wed May 01, 2019 2:56 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:41 am
RxBrad wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 am

Thanks again!

the plug is not reversed. it just uses those standard adapters, with a positive tip.

you can charge while playing (but the input does not give it enough power without a battery, so you can't just play on plug-power).
Yep. That's correct.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am

Looks like my stuff from Dividion is showing up today, though I'm still waiting for the rest of the parts for my build to get here. That was quick!

Question on how Safe Shutdown works for the Ultra... How does the power switch work? Does turning it off instantly cut the power to the unit, or does it trigger a safe shutdown? I was looking through the docs on your website, and it talks about soldering a safe shutdown button to GPIO4 and controlling the battery monitor & power with short/long presses of that button. However, I see that GPIO4 already traces over to the power switch on the Ultra's PCB, so I'm a bit confused.
Image Image

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Fri May 03, 2019 11:49 am

RxBrad wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am
Looks like my stuff from Dividion is showing up today, though I'm still waiting for the rest of the parts for my build to get here. That was quick!

Question on how Safe Shutdown works for the Ultra... How does the power switch work? Does turning it off instantly cut the power to the unit, or does it trigger a safe shutdown? I was looking through the docs on your website, and it talks about soldering a safe shutdown button to GPIO4 and controlling the battery monitor & power with short/long presses of that button. However, I see that GPIO4 already traces over to the power switch on the Ultra's PCB, so I'm a bit confused.
seriously with the shipping - its so fast!

the safe shutdown option initiates a shutdown for the pi, and then cuts the power when the control pin goes off.

so, this is how i do it...

pins 17 and 27 are not used by the gpio assist, so i wire "switch off" to 27 and "signal on" to 17, and add this into the config.txt:

dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff,gpiopin="17",active_low="y"
dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,gpio_pin="27"

then you can still use the button pad for a battery monitor button / pin 4. i've found this also works with the minty shutdown, in Mintybatterymonitor/MintyBatteryMonitor.py if you have issues with the config.txt one:

shutdown_btn = Button(27, pull_up=False, hold_time=0.3)

but make sure you still have the pin 17 / poweroff one in the config, to keep the power on while its shutting down

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Fri May 03, 2019 11:59 am

oh i guess my answer only makes sense for the pro and basic - i haven't hooked up the ultra yet...

looking at the ultra i have, its just pre-hooked into 4 and 17, and 27 is the monitor button, so you just need to switch those around (just swap 4 and 27 i think above) but the rest i think is still valid (you don't need to hold a button to do the shutdown)

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri May 03, 2019 12:58 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:49 pm
btw - did you go for the spi screen, or are you going to do composite?
I'm using one of the Gearbest composite screens (and I'm planning to do this brightness adjustment mod -- though I'll need to set it up with a different PWM).

Having used both, I actually prefer the simplicity of the composites when I need to fiddle with graphics settings inside/outside Libretro. And maybe it's just placebo effect, but I feel like a lot of games run slower through the Pi Zero on SPI.
Image Image