FlashyFrank's 2nd GBZ Build

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
FlashyFrank

FlashyFrank's 2nd GBZ Build

Post by FlashyFrank » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:49 pm

For my second build I wanted to go with a yellow and black theme and learning from my first build I knew I wanted to make a few changes.
SpoilerShow
Firstly I knew I wanted to have some sort of on screen battery monitor as well as an external indicator leds.
SpoilerShow
And I wanted to use the original power port unmodified so that means no usb for charging.
SpoilerShow
Also in my first build I didnt have access to the sd card without opening it up so I wanted to make sure I had easy access.
SpoilerShow
In my first build I had to gut out the battery bay and I knew in this one I wanted to keep it in tact.
SpoilerShow
Also I wanted to make sure I had access to the screen controls so I extended the wires and placed the controller in the bottom of the battery bay.
SpoilerShow
I also knew I wanted to keep the internals much neater and the wiring much tighter. Although it is still nothing "pretty" it's a lot better than my first build.
SpoilerShow
I liked the idea of having separable halves so I tried to add jst connectors to the L+R buttons but in the end I think they way I did it wasn't the best :(
SpoilerShow
Big shout out to rodocop for all the help that he has given in the forums!
Thanks to VeteranGamer for all the inspiration and ideas that I lifted from your builds ;)
Thanks to HoolyHoo for all the work on codes!
Thanks to Wermy for getting me hooked with the youtubes!
And thanks to anyone else active in this forum helping out others and keeping the community alive.

rodocop

Re: FlashyFrank's 2nd GBZ Build

Post by rodocop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:01 am

Looking good!

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am

ha. that's the same kit i got off amazon that i did my first build on. it gives you a frustrating mix of parts - speaker, but no headphone jack or pot. screen bracket, but no button wells, and no button drill guide. no switch, or screen alignment guide, and nothing for mounting the stuff onto like the pot wheel, usb, etc. I guess in one sense, it really facilitates the learning process as you start filling in the gaps.

does your battery bump up against your screen controls, in that configuration?

FlashyFrank

Post by FlashyFrank » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am
ha. that's the same kit i got off amazon that i did my first build on. it gives you a frustrating mix of parts - speaker, but no headphone jack or pot. screen bracket, but no button wells, and no button drill guide. no switch, or screen alignment guide, and nothing for mounting the stuff onto like the pot wheel, usb, etc. I guess in one sense, it really facilitates the learning process as you start filling in the gaps.

does your battery bump up against your screen controls, in that configuration?
For my first builds I bought a lot of items from amazon. :( Since I have been on here for the last year I have tried to buy more from the community!

I ground down the screen controls so they fit with the battery pretty flush. Never really have an issue with it yet!

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 pm

FlashyFrank wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm
For my first builds I bought a lot of items from amazon. :( Since I have been on here for the last year I have tried to buy more from the community!

I ground down the screen controls so they fit with the battery pretty flush. Never really have an issue with it yet!
For me,it was just impatience and a prime membership I think. 😜 I’ve been spending a fair amount in the community too since that, but just for the last few weeks. It was actually not totally bad for a first build, since I flubbed so much while learning, so it wasn’t as nice as case sand components you can get elsewhere

phreaky

Post by phreaky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 pm

awesome dude !

i like the led indicators in the cardridge aswell!