Game boy Pocket Zero project by Waffe

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
waffe

Re: Game boy Pocket Zero project by Waffe

Post by waffe » Sat May 04, 2019 11:19 am

KonnorJ wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:12 am
The 32u4 is needed for hid, not 328p
To be fair i've not really read into everything but this guy does this, and i'm gonna try doing that.

also there is this which is the guide for the video: http://thezanshow.com/electronics-tutor ... utorial-36

waffe

Post by waffe » Tue May 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Small update , removed some of the interior of the pocket to see how everything will fit. Will probably remove and alter some more when the game shell arrives! Also will do some sanding and final touches to make everything fit properly. You can see in one of the picture of what my idea of how everything fits. I don't know how I will layer the components atm, hot glue and plastic probably but if you have any suggestions would be great.

My shutdown circuit will probably be something like:

That will be my first priority circuit-wise and after that I will work on the screen and lastly the buttons. If the shutdown circuit does not work I will probably go for the viewtopic.php?t=2260.
SpoilerShow
I will begin my circuit tests on thursday after all the weekly school stuff is done!

Update: I soldered the circuit as the picture shows and it works , the safe shutdown works and the power supply turns off after the pi is off. Now I just need to get some battery monitoring going! There are some issues with the connection on the usb cable that i stripped I think so i will check that out tomorrow, and I will also try to replace the rocker with my own switch!

waffe

Post by waffe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 am

Figure I would update since it has been quite a while since last time. And most of the wait has been because it takes forever for stuff to arrive from China or other places. Right now I have every part except for my Joystick.

So what have I done up until now, well I have modded the case quite a bit and it took a lot of sanding and scraping and what not to get everything to fit and for the screen to be centered (this was a pain in the ass). I have 3d-printed a lot of parts and test parts for my shoulder buttons and joystick and screen and raspberry pi. I also painted my game boy and added some waterslide text on it, the paint turned out great but the waterslide is "soso". I should probably have followed the instructions better.

The screen was a pain in the a** to get to fit properly, I sanded and scraped and cut the inside edge of the gameboy pocket down to like 1 mm so it would be centered. That took at least a week and was very never wrecking. Used 80 grit ->200 grit sandpaper and a razorblade knife.

Used shoulder buttons from a joycon and they fit somehow and they work quite well. I have them glued to some tactile switches. The holes were made with a dremel and sanding so they would end up perfect. I kind of just eyeballed it which is what i've done with most things in this project.

I want to say my camera is not that good and i'm not that good at taking photos. I might put up a video when im done with the project so you can actually see what it looks like.

I pretty much only have some soldering to do and I will try to do some tomorrow and print out/make something to hold down the battery unless I just glue it on. I think the project will be done by the end of next week since ive already done most of the programming needed. I will update hopefully by the end of next week or during it. I am seriously impressed by people who post constant updates. It takes quite some time to write and take pictures etc.

Some pictures!
Pre paint:
SpoilerShow
Painted with 5 layers of chaos black
SpoilerShow
Painted with waterslide on and sanded a bit with 1500 grit
SpoilerShow
With matte varnish and sanded a bit with 2000 grit to get rid of some uneven parts
SpoilerShow
Shoulder buttons
SpoilerShow
Backside
SpoilerShow
Inside!
SpoilerShow

waffe

Post by waffe » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:24 am

Update, made a small complement video!

waffe

Post by waffe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Another update , small one! What I have left is soldering in the RPI and soldering the front panel stuff and then its done. But what has taken so long is in a simple word.. SPACE! I've rearranged stuff and reprinted stuff a millimeter here and there just to get everything to fit. It now closes with all the stuffs inside and. And aligning the screen was hell haha, also I have 3 dead pixels ..! But I will be happy with a finished project, does not need to be perfect. Been quite busy.

What is left:
-Soldering the front side buttons, leads and sound circuit
-Programming
-I might need slightly longer ribbon cables which is annoying cause I don't know where to get those besides china or ebay.

What i've done meanwhile:
-I bought a soldering iron so I don't have to go back and forth to school
-Printed and made a solder fan thingy with a carbon filter.

And pictures of the front panel: