When I started this project, the slightest misstep drove me nuts. Today, while I was taking photos to share... I realized one of the posts of my HoolyHoo bracket had sheared completely off from over-tightening. I just did some cleanup with my Dremel and epoxied the shit out of it. All fixed, no big deal. It would be nice if everything turned out perfect the first time, but I wouldn't have learned anything... and I "learned" a lot.
Some things I learned:
- Don't use epoxy until you've test fit everything... twice.
- Make sure your screen is exactly where you want it before epoxy comes anywhere near it.
- Be mindful of the Dremel. (Plastic scratches so easily.)
- Rosin makes for happy soldering.
- No, this is not the "last time" you'll have to take everything apart and put it back together.
- Yes, you didn't put the ribbon cable in straight again.
Here's the parts I ended up using after all of my research:
- Shell, Buttons and Pads from Retro Modding
- Screen Cover from Retropie Handhelds
- Stickers from YaYa Design
- Helder's MEGABAT
- Veco Speaker
- Cartridge from Hand Held Legend
- HoolyHoo Bracket
- Shoulder Button Bracket from Glitch'd Gaming
- HoolyHoo's Power Switch Bracket
- Eltoozero's Back Board Bracket
- DIESEL_DUMMY's Headphone Jack Collar
- PSP 1000 Joystick
- 3DS Joystick Cap
- Carrying Case