Game Boy Color Zero (GBCZ) *With Build Guide Notes

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Spyder

Re: Game Boy Color Zero (GBCZ) *With Build Guide Notes

Post by Spyder » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 pm

This is sweet. I just picked up the last common ground board Glitch'd had for the GBC. Waiting for it to get to me. I was wondering though with the power assist basic if you could route the charge port to a different area, like where you had the full size USB port. Kinda of like how the gaboze is setup. In fact 3/4 of the top half holes for the pocket and GBC actually match. I thought about cutting apart a blank Gaboze board to wire up the volume wheel and change the charge port to there and just leave the game shell untouched.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:31 pm

Spyder wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 pm
This is sweet. I just picked up the last common ground board Glitch'd had for the GBC. Waiting for it to get to me. I was wondering though with the power assist basic if you could route the charge port to a different area, like where you had the full size USB port. Kinda of like how the gaboze is setup. In fact 3/4 of the top half holes for the pocket and GBC actually match. I thought about cutting apart a blank Gaboze board to wire up the volume wheel and change the charge port to there and just leave the game shell untouched.
oh sure, there are spots to connect a port for charging if you don't want to use that one built onto the board. i hooked up a barrel jack in the original gbc power spot, in the second one i did. it is pretty tight for space tho. you can certainly put a micro usb where i have that full sized one, but a volume wheel might be a tough fit. i can't recall if there's enough clearance for that.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:13 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:31 pm
Spyder wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 pm
oh sure, there are spots to connect a port for charging if you don't want to use that one built onto the board. i hooked up a barrel jack in the original gbc power spot, in the second one i did. it is pretty tight for space tho. you can certainly put a micro usb where i have that full sized one, but a volume wheel might be a tough fit. i can't recall if there's enough clearance for that.
It'll actually fit. The charge port and volume wheel for the pocket and color match. I cut apart a spare gaboze blank board to use as a top half connector. Going to try hooking up wires to the pads or vias. Thanks for the info on the power assist basic. I think I'm going to order one up this week along with the amp and filter too. Going to try to keep the power switch in the original location too. Crossing my fingers.