My "Ultimate" 3A+ Build - With Temp-Controlled Fan

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
infinitLoop

Re: My "Ultimate" 3A+ Build - With Temp-Controlled Fan

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:04 am

superman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:59 am
I also opted for digital controls, so that I could use this Nav Toggle as a hotkey for the battery monitor and shutdown.
I was wondering could I just hook up the nav toggle as a regular button to the gpio and use it as volume up and down with retro arch.
Also amazing work I am using you fan vent for my build :lol: :lol: :D

sure, it's basically just three buttons in one, so you can use it however you can use digital buttons. just connect the three pads from it to three gpio pins, along with the ground connection from/to it, and then adjust your script or whatever for those pins.

DaRk_dOg

Post by DaRk_dOg » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 am

Great project and result Sir!

I really want to copy your fan approach, just not sure if it can be done on my setup. I am planning on using a DPI screen with Tinkerboy's dpi adapter (which occupies all GPIO pins) but since pins are available from the upper side of the 3b+, can I solder the fan's wires there? Is the transistor mandatory?

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:51 pm

DaRk_dOg wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:46 am
Great project and result Sir!

I really want to copy your fan approach, just not sure if it can be done on my setup. I am planning on using a DPI screen with Tinkerboy's dpi adapter (which occupies all GPIO pins) but since pins are available from the upper side of the 3b+, can I solder the fan's wires there? Is the transistor mandatory?
yeah, i think you should be able to use those pins that are free on the dpi adapter, if they aren't taken up by anything else. the transistor is what handles the switching on and off, so if you want to have the software control it you would need that. you could just put a fan in that is always on too, and not hook up anything to the pi.

DaRk_dOg

Post by DaRk_dOg » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:37 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:51 pm
yeah, i think you should be able to use those pins that are free on the dpi adapter, if they aren't taken up by anything else. the transistor is what handles the switching on and off, so if you want to have the software control it you would need that. you could just put a fan in that is always on too, and not hook up anything to the pi.

Great info, thank you!

I am waiting for the SUNON UB5U3 (plus all the rest parts) and will probably go for your solution. Thank you for the transistor clarification, it's nice to know the purpose of each part.

Cheers!

qaz015393

Post by qaz015393 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Thats one awesome built you did! Great job