Build Log (of a total and complete newb with 0 electronics expierence)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
TorroesPrime

Re: Build Log (of a total and complete newb with 0 electronics expierence)

Post by TorroesPrime » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 am

infinitLoop wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 am
i had one of these screens laying around here, so i just gave it a try on this new build. if you end up with another one, this is what worked for me - clipped the chip off with a flush cutter, desoldered the white wire, and then moved the red up to where the second leg was attached... worked right away...
You had one just sitting around? That is either the highest level of stupid lucky, or you have a Workshop with a surplus storage area that I can officially say I envy, which is no small feat so congrats if that is the case.

When I get the new one in, I'll see if I can do what you've posted. Thanks for the info.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am

TorroesPrime wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 am
infinitLoop wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 am
i had one of these screens laying around here, so i just gave it a try on this new build. if you end up with another one, this is what worked for me - clipped the chip off with a flush cutter, desoldered the white wire, and then moved the red up to where the second leg was attached... worked right away...
You had one just sitting around? That is either the highest level of stupid lucky, or you have a Workshop with a surplus storage area that I can officially say I envy, which is no small feat so congrats if that is the case.

When I get the new one in, I'll see if I can do what you've posted. Thanks for the info.
:lol:

yeah, a little from column a and a little from column b i guess. :) i tend to buy these screens a couple at a time any more (partly because i've messed up, or just had a crappy screen, so many times in the past, i like to have a backup, and just to have one or two waiting on a build), and i hadn't bought one of those BWs in a little while, so i ordered some a while back to give em a try again. usually these models come in batches, or something - amazon favors one dealer over another in their algorithms, etc - and i saw people posting questions around it for a while, so i figured one of these two that i had would be that model (i haven't cracked the other open yet - it might be that one too).

this model is actually the most different that i've seen in these types. the screen is just like held together with tape and stickers, and really thin and flimsy and more plastic than metal... it's almost more like the SPI screens than most of the other, older models of these. not sure yet how it holds up against the gearbest in screen quality since i just had it hooked up long enough to make sure it'd work, but the board is nice and small though.

TorroesPrime

Post by TorroesPrime » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm

So I got the new screen in today. To make sure I was good to go, I tested it with a DVD player:

Yup, looks good.

So I went to work making the modifications:

made the connections to the Pie Zero:

and.... I get nothing:

:(

So... yeah. I got nothing Any advice on what I could have done wrong here?

Actually, that's not true. I ran across this article about connecting an RCA connection to a PIE Zero, and it uses the TV connection. So I gave it a shot switching to that port.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:14 pm

hm. it looks like the correct spots. maybe a bad solder connection? what kind of power supply are you using? is there enough current? (probably 1A or more would be enough). do you have the hdmi plugged in (the composite gets disabled if it is). shortening the wires, or twisting them, could help strengthen the signal too. those screens don't urn on if it doesn't see the signal

TorroesPrime

Post by TorroesPrime » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm

infinitLoop wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:14 pm
hm. it looks like the correct spots. maybe a bad solder connection? what kind of power supply are you using? is there enough current? (probably 1A or more would be enough). do you have the hdmi plugged in (the composite gets disabled if it is). shortening the wires, or twisting them, could help strengthen the signal too. those screens don't urn on if it doesn't see the signal
So I gave it one more shot tonight and replaced the thin flimsy wires with solid core wires:

and.... still nothing on the screen.

I'm using a 2.5a AC Adapter.

and it's 12:30, I need to get to bed. Work and all in the morning.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:28 am

TorroesPrime wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm
So I gave it one more shot tonight and replaced the thin flimsy wires with solid core wires:

and.... still nothing on the screen.

I'm using a 2.5a AC Adapter.

and it's 12:30, I need to get to bed. Work and all in the morning.
ok, so, on that one, it looks like the video is connected to the pi at the wrong spot. it doesn't help that they label the board with "tv" next to that pin, but that's actually the ground. you'll want to move that to the pad next to it (the square one).

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 am

Oh. I see the problem the last time... you were at the “reset” pins on the pi (the two just under the composite ones)...

This page has an image that points to the proper spot on the pi:

https://othermod.com/raspberry-pi-zero- ... tallation/

Don’t pay attention to the order of the wires on that screen though, as it’s different than this model.

TorroesPrime

Post by TorroesPrime » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

is there a chart or anything that identifies all the pads and pins on the Pie Zero? I've looked around and I've found tons that show a couple of the pads, or the GPIO pin outs... but I haven't been able to find one that IDs all of the pads and pins outs.

infinitLoop

Post by infinitLoop » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:23 pm

TorroesPrime wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm
is there a chart or anything that identifies all the pads and pins on the Pie Zero? I've looked around and I've found tons that show a couple of the pads, or the GPIO pin outs... but I haven't been able to find one that IDs all of the pads and pins outs.
pinout.xyz is great for the gpio and all its functions, but the other pads and stuff on there take a bit more googling i think. i haven't found one site that has that in an easy layout.

n00bi3

Post by n00bi3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

I connect my Av cable on the front of pi and it works, let me see if I have a proper picture of it.
Also the ground cable seems to be a not soldered correctly.
that's from my first gbz in January. Built 2 others. You will learn more about the it as you go.

Everyone starts somewhere and we are here to help :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20190828-221429.jpg
Screenshot_20190828-221429.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 7576 times