Wow, what a journey this was.
This was the most frustrating build I’ve done yet. Not to anger any one, but I’ve had two blank boards since last November. And have been working on them inconsistently on and off since then.
The components weren’t too hard to put on. A good experience, I’d say. I used a combination of the soldering iron, a cheap harbor freight heat gun, standard solder and solder paste for them. I had a few hiccups along the way but nothing terrible.
I did tear the pads from the power switch but it was easy to relocate to the side with a glueless bracket I designed. Also modified and designed parts for the cartridge magnets. I only had 5mm round magnets on hand.
Case cuts were a breeze.
The software was where most of the nightmares happened. I hate the AllForOne select button menu and the “safe shutdown” never worked. All the icons at the top were useless except the battery. I tried for awhile to build my own img but it was hard enough not knowing the pinout.
So, for anyone in the same boat, here is what I did-
I used the img from 32teeth for his Gaboze Pocaio. Edited retrogame for my buttons and added i2s for audio. This thing is excellent now. Thanks 32teeth!!
I only don’t have a battery indicator or safe shutdown but those are things I never felt I needed. But, if anyone has ideas on how to implement them, let me know.
Anyways, enough rambling. Here are the photos.
Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 303
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 am
- Location: Ohio
- Has thanked: 82 times
- Been thanked: 41 times
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest