Spyder's Gameboy Pocket build (Gaboze Pocaio Round 2)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Spyder's Gameboy Pocket build (Gaboze Pocaio Round 2)

Post by Helder » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am

I think you killed it by putting the voltage backwards as you said you has to flip the wiring on the JST so you killed it when you did that. Next time check polarity before wiring things in and if you do want to test it without checking polarity (not a smart move) then be sure the Pi or anything else critical is not hooked up so it doesn't die from reverse polarity.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 am

Helder wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 am
I think you killed it by putting the voltage backwards as you said you has to flip the wiring on the JST so you killed it when you did that. Next time check polarity before wiring things in and if you do want to test it without checking polarity (not a smart move) then be sure the Pi or anything else critical is not hooked up so it doesn't die from reverse polarity.
I'll double check it before I rebuild

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Then you might have something shorting the pi itself then, check continuity from GND to the 5v and 3.3v pins to be sure.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Helder wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:32 pm
Then you might have something shorting the pi itself then, check continuity from GND to the 5v and 3.3v pins to be sure.
Think you misread that. I was saying that I will double check the battery before I build a new one. I need to order a new screen and the SMD components before I can rebuild.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Those pogo pins are D+ and D- nothing to do with power. But usb data. Which wont affect anything. Not sure why the pi doesn't contact them though. Maybe you were supposed to remove the black sheath on the headers so the pi can slide down more?

Also the pi is powered via gpio. I would have resoldered those points and the tp4056 first.

Either way. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Also. Might be obvious. But when you powered it up. Did you have an sd card in?

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 am

rodocop wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm
Those pogo pins are D+ and D- nothing to do with power. But usb data. Which wont affect anything. Not sure why the pi doesn't contact them though. Maybe you were supposed to remove the black sheath on the headers so the pi can slide down more?

Also the pi is powered via gpio. I would have resoldered those points and the tp4056 first.

Either way. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Also. Might be obvious. But when you powered it up. Did you have an sd card in?
Yeah I had an SD card in. Even tried powering the pi directly and no power LED or anything at all. Fact is, I need to rebuild because I messed up the board cutting off the pi. Its ok, but I just need to Aliexpress a screen and place a digikey order for the SMD stuff again. I have spare blank boards, extra TPs, and a few others. Its just the screen and SMD stuff I need.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Yeah for sure. Just a few things to check for on your next build!

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks for the answer about the pogo pins. I definitely believe that was my doing when I mounted it. I think I put something in to make a little space for the volume and brightness wheel

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 am

Screen should be coming in soon from Ali and I just placed my digikey order last night and ordered double the parts this time, just to be on the safe side. I'm just debating if I want to just use my new unused pi zero or spring for a new W. I'm just not sure if or why I would need wireless for this build.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:03 am

Said forget it and went and bought another PZW from a local supplier since they were on sale. Have 2 of everything but the screen now, just in case. =) Only thing I'm missing now is time. Crazy time of year.