Almost done! Just gotta to wire. any ideas?

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
lewsidius

Almost done! Just gotta to wire. any ideas?

Post by lewsidius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:39 am

I have photos below but Im almost done. I know mostly what I need to do with the Pi Zero I have all the GIPO buttons down in terms of where they go.

In addition I need to wire directly to the Pi as I dont have the board from helder with most of the other chips which include:
  • PowerBoost 1000 Charger
    USB Micro-B Breakout Board
    USB port
    Adafruit Mono 2.5W Class D Audio
    the on off switch
    my own powerr board
    and the BW backup camera screen
I just need a start in the right direction does anyone know if there are any diagrams for any of the products?

Thanks

Chris
20170804_215918.jpg
20170804_215918.jpg (604.94 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
20170804_215907.jpg
20170804_215907.jpg (673.31 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

lewsidius

Re: Almost done! Just gotta to wire. any ideas?

Post by lewsidius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 am

Hello again I have a bit more info after researching other builds but still have a bunch of questions.
Any insight to any of these questions are very appreciated.

Before I do some soldering later today I want to make sure a few things
I took a look at a few other people projects and noticed that some people have 3 wires and some have 2 wires connected to switch. But is there a difference between the 2?
As seen here:
(2 wires)
gaming_circuit-diagram.png
gaming_circuit-diagram.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 4763 times
and here:
(3 wires)
gaming_soldered_boost.jpg
gaming_soldered_boost.jpg (869.63 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also in terms of the audio jack I have is a mono phono jack with the 3 pins on it.
like this:
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.9 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
I was wondering 2 things which pins connect to the amp board and which to the speakers?
Do I need resistors or ferrite beads?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For my screen it is the one recommended off of the Game Boy Zero Custom Parts Guide Part 1 tutorials. The BW backup camera screen found here https://www.amazon.com/BW-3-5-Inch-Moni ... B0045IIZKU
I have this diagram:
jJddqdg.jpg
jJddqdg.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4763 times
My question is: with the wiring to the power and pi zero should I follow this route in the above pic or how should the screen get wired?
I did the thing this red wire is doing in the following pic but just wondering where the red black yellow and white wires go from here?
Screenshot-2016-09-05-09.35.09.jpg
Screenshot-2016-09-05-09.35.09.jpg (522.49 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a diagram or any information how to wire:
  • the USB Por
    The micro USB
    and The volume wheel?
Sorry for so many questions...
Thanks for your time!
Attachments
gaming_installed_speaker.jpg
gaming_installed_speaker.jpg (659.48 KiB) Viewed 4763 times

lewsidius

Post by lewsidius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Lol I keep replying to myself. But I'm still working on it, trying to get this thing going.
This is what I have wired so far :-)
I am going to try a fresh install of the retropie because I am not getting the buttons to sink.
I also for some reason am not getting the battery to hold a charge. I need it plugged in to work properly?
I just did a diagram of what I have wired so far. I also have the L and R buttons wired too.
Any Ideas?
power pi and button board.jpg
power pi and button board.jpg (296.27 KiB) Viewed 4734 times

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 pm

This guide shows how to wire the screens too:
Red will go to 5V power, black will go to the GND rail, and yellow or white (not both) will go to the TV pin on the pi zero.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=958

As for your powerboost wiring, I would wire the red and black coming from your power strip to the pp1 (5v) and pp6 (GND), below the power usb port.

Not sure why the battery isn't charging. When you plug the battery in does the orange charge light come on?

As for the switch, if you are using the powerboost 1000C I think you just need two wires. the EN and GND.

Audio stuff, here is the diagram I have made for my setup:

Purple is audio out from the pi's GPIO pin, I have wrapped it with a ground wire to help reduce static. The yellow wire is the output pin of the volume wheen, which goes to the amp, I have also wrapped it with a ground wire. You are using a different headphone jack but it should work pretty close, have a look at this link:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=701

Your jack is the last on the list, and it shows what each pin does. I think your headphone would need to have '-' from the amp to '1' on the jack which then goes to the speaker, and the '+' would go to '2' or '5', and then from there you would wire '3' or '4' to the speaker...

you dont need ferrite beads or resistors, but they may help. You can also use a low pass filter to help reduce static.
audio diagramShow
Now, to wire your external USB, green and white (D+ and D-) will go to the pi zero pp22 and pp23, and the power and ground will go to your power strip.

Micro USB will be wired to the USB and GND on the power boost, you do not need to wire the D+ and D-

I tried to answer as best I could!

lewsidius

Post by lewsidius » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks man That's incredible. You have cleared so much up for me! I am thankful for all your time :-) I cant wait to post my project! Working on a diagram for it too!

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 am

Whoops. Dual posts! Rodocop has cleared it all up by the looks 😎

Hope it all comes together. Let us know if you need anymore help