Help for build an cheap & easy GBZ

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Fabius Bile

Help for build an cheap & easy GBZ

Post by Fabius Bile » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:19 am

Hi, I need help for building a cheap and simply GBZ, because I'm not good at soldering and electronics, and I have little money to invest in the project.

But, before I start, I tell you, i dont speek english, i'm italian, then please, you use simple word and concept, and excuse me and sorry if i do not write well in English.

I've read and studied a bit, and I think it's best to use 8bcraft Raspiboy components as a base.

Part list i want to use:

SAIO SNESS bracket by HoolyHoo: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2553
Four of Each DIY Install Brass Inserts and M2 Screws Loose (Screws Need to be trimmed to size) by HoolyHoo

kitsch-bent GBZ button pcb (or others similar): http://market.sudomod.com/kitsch-bent-gbz-button-pcb/

8bcraft parts: http://www.8bcraft.com/product-category ... omponents/
0.5W 20mm diameter Speaker
3.5" LCD screen compatible with 8BCraft PCB
8BCraft PCB
Battery lithium polymer 3.7V
Gamepad Module

L & R button bracket by erik_gee: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3364

I want to use the 8bcreat pcb and other parts, because is simply and very cheap (and the shipping from France is fast and cheap), but i want to put in the original GB case, then i have some problems:

1) Volume wheel, headphone jack, power on/off switch, and others, they do not fit in the original GB case holes.

2) The PCB for game pad module not fit in the original GB case, because is SNESS controller size.

Possible solutions but i dont know if there is possible:

1) Desoldering volume wheel, power on/off switch, headphone Jack from 8bcraft PCB and reconnect via cables at pcb, so i can put it in the right place in the GB case.

2) Use another PCB for game pad (such as kitsch-bent), use the 8bcraft game pad module cable for connect at the PCB, but 8bcraft tell me i have to use a microcontroller for that, is possible remove that microcontroller from 8 bcraft game pad module and reuse it?

Many thanks to those who will help me and apologize me for the bad English, ciao.

jb32647

Re: Help for build an cheap & easy GBZ

Post by jb32647 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:33 pm

I would not recommend the gamepad module, it looks like it's too big. I tried cramming a Megadrive controller PCB in my GBZ, and it was too big. As for the PCB, it looks like €20,00 is a very reasonable deal for what you get, but for it to fit you should desolder the USB ports, JST/molex connectors, and just wire everything up discreetly, however, using an additional micro-controller to attach it seems like extra hassle, so maybe not use the PCB. If you're using the KB button pcb, you can just attach it straight to the Pi's GPIO pins.

You'll have to pick up a few other things, like a charge and boost board, and an amplifier for sound, but those are only a few € on ebay. PAM D amplifiers are very common online, and you can use these DIY powerbank circuit boards to charge the battery and power the pi. I found one that is very cheap here:Powerbank circuit PAM D amplifier

Other things like a volume knob and on switch can be easily be picked up from a local electronics store for less than €4. If you just use an off-the-shelf potentiometer for a volume knob (like I did) you want to use a 10k double-gang one. Good luck with your build!
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 pm

PS. If you want cheap parts, check out your local e-waste centre or just do some dumpster diving, loads of people throw away things that still have useful parts in them.

Fabius Bile

Post by Fabius Bile » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:16 am

jb32647 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 pm
PS. If you want cheap parts, check out your local e-waste centre or just do some dumpster diving, loads of people throw away things that still have useful parts in them.
Thanks jb32647 for the answers.
But i'm unsure about continuing with this build, now i search a GBZ already built, but the price is very high.

However, i did not want to use the pcb of the gamepad module, but only the cable to plug it into the 8bcraft board.

I have found more complete build kit, but i don't know if i can to build it.

Thanks again, because you were the only one so kind to answer me.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am

I have to be honest, easy and cheap don't go along together to build a GBZ. Pick only one. Often the cost of tools is forgotten to get the samller jobs done correctly. You should aim at a first GBZ build at around 500,-€. So GBZ sold here on the forums range from 250 to 400€.

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Eccho wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 am
I have to be honest, easy and cheap don't go along together to build a GBZ. Pick only one. Often the cost of tools is forgotten to get the samller jobs done correctly. You should aim at a first GBZ build at around 500,-€. So GBZ sold here on the forums range from 250 to 400€.
I got all the parts for mine for less than <$180, but again, I got some parts off the side of the road.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 am

jb32647 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:48 pm
I got all the parts for mine for less than <$180, but again, I got some parts off the side of the road.
That's very nice! I guess you have the proper tools as well?

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 am

Eccho wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 am
That's very nice! I guess you have the proper tools as well?
Yes, I had a lot of the parts already, I had to buy a new soldering Iron because the old one let the black smoke out, but I also buy a lot of things in bulk, like the wire I use came in big 20m spools for around $10, and because I also do my own side projects other than the GBZ, I do use that wire elsewhere.