Update, boot loop, then black screen, humbly requesting help.

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
Muon

Update, boot loop, then black screen, humbly requesting help.

Post by Muon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:25 am

Hi guys. It’s been a while since I built my gbz using Kite’s SAIO. As such, after revisiting it I’ve run into a quite a troublesome issue...

I was gonna let someone else see the gbz. Since I haven’t used it for a while I thought it would be wise to update the software. I let it run through the updates in retropie, after hours it reported it was ready to reboot, this is when the fun began...

After rebooting it came back on with really weird colours, at first I thought the screen was damaged somehow, but then I noticed it was never starting up fully it was also stuck in a boot loop. I tried to switch it off, which it wouldn’t do, I eventually had no option but to pull the sdcard. I noticed that it was still rebooting even with no card in.

I couldn’t switch it off. After hours of not knowing what to do, I was left with no choice but to open it up and pull the power. Upon reapplying the power and switching on, now it was just a black screen, nothing.

I tried making a fresh image, but having not been around the community for a while I wasn’t sure which was the best image to make. I used the one here: https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Suffice to say upon flashing what seemed to be a suitable image, booting with that, also nothing. Black screen. It switches off ok now though, thats something.

So, what’s the next best step to take from here? How to move forward to restoring my gbz to its former happy working state?

Many thanks for any help and advice offered.
M

McGyver

Re: Update, boot loop, then black screen, humbly requesting help.

Post by McGyver » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 am

Which SAIO do you have? For some of them there is a specific image necessary you do not find on retropie.org.

Edit: I just read that is was working before....

Maybe the newer version of retropie is not compatible to the screen settings.

I don't have huge experience in other boards ussage from Kite exept the CS. But I am looking forward to get it fixed by the help of othere member AND: think about to do a SD card backup as soon as you have a system as you like it. After that you can try all other things but you have a well running image in backup. I really want to recommend this to everybody here!

Muon

Post by Muon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Umm I didn’t even know there was more than one verion of the SAIO board. As I mentioned I’ve been away from the community for a while, I think I was on the second batch of boards that went out, if that helps to pin down the version. If anyone has a link to that version of retropie that was released along with the board, I could try that. I appreciate the help.

Muon

Post by Muon » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 am

*bump* Any suggestions? I’d really like to get my gbz up and running again 😢

Muon

Post by Muon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:49 am

Ok, howsabout whats the latest official retropie release here for the gbz?

kite

Post by kite » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:25 am

Hi, download the image from the github for your board here: https://github.com/kiteretro/Super-AIO/ ... tag/v1.3.1

PS, if you turn the power switch OFF ... and then press the MODE button, it will insta-kill it (this is in the cases you describe where it has crashed and you want it OFF.. )

Not sure what your update did, but it likely updated the kernel and some other stuff.. i wouldn't update it if I were you! I'll be re-working the Super-AIO pre-made images at some point with the latest everything, but for now I only support what is on that download page, if you want to update/do more then that's fine but it's down to you :)
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage